Customer Contacts and marking a shipment

Good Morning,

Sales order entry personnel would like to be able to note particular information, requested by customer, on shipping label, etc. We are using customer contact entry now, and I presumed it would be for naming contacts. Now however, we have order entry personnel wanting to enter data such as Tag#XXXXX , POXXXX, etc (this is not the customer PO necessarily, could be 3rd party) in contact entry.

Anyway, does anyone use customer contact entry to let order entry put what they want in there, person’s name or any other thing they want to note on package?

I generally do not like to use fields for unintended purposes since it messes up any future data mining that someone someday might be interested in, etc, but am considering it (throwing in the towel? maybe…) Comments fields sometimes get novel length information, and the last thing we’d want is to toss those on an address label for packaging.

I thought, we certainly aren’t unique in this need. How do others do it?

Nancy

Do you happen to use Epicor Manifest? We use Manifest, and if it’s a UPS shipment (for example) on the Sales Order>Header Manifest Info>UPS, we have it configured as follows:
Reference 1 : If you leave blank, by default, the customer’s PO # will print on the shipping label.
Note: You can enter a custom value here, and whatever you type will print in Reference 1 on the shipping label
Reference 2 : If you leave blank, by default, our Sales Order # will print on the shipping label.
Note: You can enter a custom value here, and whatever you type will print in Reference 1 on the shipping label

2 Likes

Hi Lacey,

We do not use manifest. However, I have never reviewed these fields on order header before. Apparently use of them doesn’t seem to go on any standard reporting. Thanks very much for your explanation of how it works. If we didn’t ship via so many different carriers, I think use of manifest (quick ship now?) would be an easier application for us than it is today.

Nancy

if it is not CustomerPO/YourSales related, or CustomerShip address related, then it is either one Time Ship to or Ship Via Carrier, thereby you can add this extra information there and create a BPM to validate whatever logic you want at Customer shipment transaction

1 Like

Hi Al,

Look at that. I never noticed that before on the ship via there. This is definitely more food for thought.

Thank you!
Nancy

Have you looked at the “Marked For” on the Order Release?

Order Entry could add Mark For info on the order release. Just use the Address fields how ever you like.

Then it shows up on the Packer (and can be edited here too.

And appears on the label as

Also shows on the packing slip

Important thing to note is that the Ship To isn’t affected. So even though the “Mark For” looks like fields for an address, they can be used however you want.

Also, note that they’re probably limited in length (50?), and that the “city”, “state”, and “zip” will probably be merged onto one line

1 Like

Wow ~ look at that! It does look like it will have an effect on Ship to, but doesn’t. I guess maybe this is what it’s for… Thanks Calvin!

The help says

Mark For (Sales Order Entry > Releases > Mark For)

Use the Mark For sheet to identify the final destination of the goods for the sales order.

You would typically use this sheet when you ship an item to a distribution center instead of directly to a customer, and the distribution center requests that the item be marked with a name and address for reshipment to one of their customers. In this case the Ship To is the distribution center, and the Mark For is the final destination address of the package. If the Allow One Time Ship To check box has been selected in the Customer Maintenance > Customer > Detail sheet to designate, you can select the One Time Ship To check box to manually enter a one time ship to address. The Mark For information prints on shipping labels and packing slips.

Huh. Well that’s not what we would be doing with it at all… not a distribution center. However, we get plenty of “mark for” requirements on our shipments straight to customers, and I think this could come in handy and is ready with no development.
Do you use it?

Nancy

We don’t. In fact, I was rather oblivious to it until I asked about a prompt I was getting

The “… refresh mark for …” threw me off. Had it been “… refresh Mark For …”, It would have implied thats a field (or fields), and not an action (as in Flag this order…)

The “Mark For” is only at the release level of an order. We have the need to make labels for items, so I:

• Added some UD fields at the line level (one for the text, and one for the qty of labels)
  • Made a uBAQ and updatable Dasboard for editing that label info, without having to go into the Order
  • Made a BAQ report to print the label (it pulls in order info too), which can be run from the Dashboard. Various report styles for the differnt order info that is combined with the “Label text” of the line.

This way any line that needs a label, can be entered during order entry or by production.

Thanks Calvin for your description of workflow and your customizations. It sounds nifty! Our shippers have one thing in mind at shipment… get it out the door today! They do whatever, pens in hand to mark things up, to make it happen and then tell me a couple of years later that they are regularly marking up reports manually but wouldn’t it be nice to have it print? At least they finally said something I guess. :crazy_face:

Nancy

Our shippers are usually waiting for one thing … The actual address to ship it to. A lot of our orders are construction sites without a typical address. And the order is usually entered early in the customers project. Often before they even know where the access roads will be.

I had to make a report that finds orders that contain “TBD” in the ship to, so these wouldn’t have to wait until 5:30 on a Friday to be resolved (with the truck driver waiting ).