Creating Barcode Labels For Inventory

We have some castings that are supplied by a vendor. When we receive the castings in, we just quantity adjust the amount into the correct bin. I think we started doing it this way because we don’t have a PO related to receive the parts in Receipt Entry.

Now that we have the part counts correct in inventory, I want to print a label for the box of castings. Normally I would do this in Receipt Entry. Since we used Qty Adjust, we don’t have that option. Is there any other way to print inventory labels?

How should we be receiving these castings into Epicor when there is no PO?
Thanks for your time!

I am not aware of any OOTB way to ‘just print a label’ for a part. Every method I am aware of is tied to some kind of other activity. I had to create custom solutions for this.

1 Like

It seems like there should be a quick and easy way to reprint a label. What if it fell off or got damaged? I can picture a function performing this action. What did you use for a custom solution?

I agree. If a method exists I do not know what it is.

The simplest one we use is just a BAQ report that prompts for data like part #, lot #, qty, etc. Just design the report style to whatever size/layout you want.

1 Like

You get them for free?

1 Like

To follow up on Mark’s reply, is there no PO at all? Or do you use a blanket PO?

I created a screen to print labels. I had fields for the text (e.g. Part, Lot, etc.) and fields for the information. That way, it would meet any need instead of being custom for only certain situations.

I still have to figure that part out, but I think the answer is a sort of yes. The customer places an order and then sends us castings to make the part with. We don’t place a PO for the castings. I don’t think we use a blanket PO either. This certainly leads into some process changes we are targeting, but it really seems like printing a one off label shouldn’t be so hard.

@NateS , I would look at the documentation on Customer Supplied Inventory. You can use that functionality to manage these types of situations.

2 Likes

I agree. We are looking into customer supplied inventory. But what about printing labels. Surely labels must need to be reprinted from time to time? Is there no way to reprint a label? Is that missing by design for some reason?

Ah, there we go. I worked with a company that treated customer parts, so I understand your dilemma. Like most solutions I propose, it was summarily dismissed. :rofl:

My thought was to use the RMA functionality - but read that as “Receive Material Authorization.” In our case, the parts had to be inspected. RMA forced us to go through the inspection process, so that worked for us. You can accept the parts into inventory including lot/heat numbers/etc, or issue them to a job if that fits your flow better. But alas, they wrote a web app outside of Kinetic. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

I believe that you can reprint if you go into where the original transaction occurred, but I could just be making that up. So, if you went back to receipt entry if the label was originally printed there.

Creating the BAQ report was pretty easy. Now I want to be able to print on the various positions on my 6-up label sheet. By default, the position is the top left label. I would like to arbitrarily print either 1 or more labels and have them populate the template correctly. What’s the best approach for this?

Has anyone done any work with Avery label templates for report designer?

You can receive without a PO. Just leave the PO blank. It seems like it shouldn’t work, but it does, just for this type of situation.

That’s probably better anyways, because then you have a better record of it.

3 Likes

Does it create an uninvoiced receipt? If so, do you have to clear it manually?

Sorry I hae never done this. Out of curiosity I googled, there are quite a few examples with doing column reports for labels…

One post they make mention that using print preview when using column reports with the report designer it does not work, not sure what version this was or if it ever been fixed…

Sorry can’t be of more help…

1 Like

Have you considered the Bartender API? You should be able to whip up a simple web page, prompt for the data values (or look them up by a key), and make a call to print the label. @Chris_Conn uses the API exclusively and says he’d never go back to file drops.

5 Likes

I haven’t thought of that! I was hoping to be able to use native epicor/report builder functionality.

Yes, we created a scheduled function for this that looks for $0 receipts and marks them invoiced.

So it’s a sort of better solution…

5 Likes

Nice Mark!

The one thing that was nice about the “Receive” Material Authorization is that the receiving dock knew what was expected to come in and how to inspect instead of crap just showing up and having to find out the details outside of Kinetic.

3 Likes