Context Menu Management

Why does this not have 50,000 votes?!?

Never in 12 years of working with Epicor have we ever had a need or use for each individual user to create their own context menu. Haha
I’m sitting here like :open_mouth: that it is even an option… lol

1 Like

@josecgomez, if it were not an option, life would be good.
The fact that it IS available, and users and department heads are aware… therein lies the problem.
You built it, they came, and now they want to manage it.

@Andrew
After playing with it for a few minutes, depending on your skillset you could build yourself a management screen for this fairly simply.
I just did an updatabale BAQ which queries the XXXDef table filtered by TypeCode = ‘Personalization’ and Key1 = ‘CustomContextMenu’

This brings back all the Personalized User Menus, one could log in as yourself (or some test account) create the menu’s the way you want. Then use this UBAQ to add / update entries into XXXDef via the GenXData BO
Basically setup the menu the way you want certain users to have it
Then copy that record (Create a new) record for each user Key2 is tied to the username.

I just tested it quickly and it appears to work ok.
Give that a shot (but yes that should be built in)

3 Likes

Do not customize for the user, but customize for the process.

Thus far all the failed Epicor and SAP Implementations were all linked to “We tried to customize for the Users”. I knew a lady active for 8yrs on EUG, when she stopped posting - I wondered what happened to her… She said “We customized for the user, it all got so cumbersome, we ended up scrapping epicor and selecting a less-customizable ERP”.

Thats that on that note. :smiley:

2 Likes

Love it before even testing it! I think someone (perhaps @aidacra) mentioned this info was stored in a SQL table, but I couldn’t make heads or tails of it.
This is awesome and will fill the immediate need.

… still like to see a mgmt utility, though.

1 Like

Ha ha. Yes I agree wholeheartedly. I try to avoid individual customizations as much as possible, but it is the only way to accomplish department level synchronicity with the context menus - a user at a time, and in some cases, depending on how may digits more than mine are contained in the requestor’s pay stub.

1 Like

Who here has told management that a customization they wanted, couldn’t be done. Because you knew it would create more problems than it would solve?

:raising_hand_man:

1 Like

The Line “The SDK could make this easier at a cost of 20-50K, but at the same time would increase maintenance during upgrades” line always works, to get them to shy away. Because the best solution is the SDK if you need that low-level customization. :sunglasses: You simply modify the Context Menu Helper with your tweaks.

Ahh yes, the old “deter mgmt from that thing they believe they want by…[fill in the blank]”.
My mgmt is not beyond calling our CAM for a second opinion.

In fact, they’re quite happy to have me do the extra work, which, in all fairness, pays the bills. I can’t complain.

However, I think this new suggestion box might yield something - already has with @josecgomez 's suggested UBAQ.

Now I just need to organize a campaign to get folks to vote for this, and who knows… E11 might include this functionality!

10.2.400 is going to be amazing for a lot of reasons, but, my favorite so far (shhh, this is a sneak peak)

Not that this addresses the specific feature request, but, first things first!

7 Likes

@aidacra, I LOVE forward progress! Thanks for the heads-up.
My hope is that, after 49,996 more people vote for this feature, that preview will turn into a full-fledged management utility!

bahaha @Andrew I love your optimism, but I don’t think this particular feature has a strong a following as you hope lol

Just wait 'til this starts appearing over the skies in Vegas!

1 Like