Cliff Notes Overview of PO Suggestions

Can I get a real basic over view of the PO suggestions feature. The online help, is less than helpful.

FWIW - we don’t use:

• Supplier price lists
  • Approved vendors
  • Populate any of the Part\Site\Planning fields in Part Maintenance

Our orders do include lots of lines for non-tangible items, like installation charges, tech services, freight, etc … (i.e. things that require no materials). Some of these are system parts, but most are On The Fly parts.

My main questions

1. What are the minimal setups that make PO Suggestions usable (Lead times populated?, Approved vendors?, etc…)?
  2. What is the general flow? Run Generate Suggestions, review suggestions, select suggestions for PO creation, … ??
  3. When a PO is created from a suggestions, how “complete” is it? I assume that they’re not automatically marked as Released.
  4. If an item isn’t required (like a line for shipping on a sales order), can these be marked such that they don’t continue to show up in the suggestions?

Thanks In advance.

#1 I think the minimum would be the checkbox on the Part for “Generate PO Suggetions” - I don’t think Lead Time, supplier, buyer, etc are required; as an example, if you do not add a Supplier to the Part, when you get to the PO Suggestions list, you won’t be able to create the PO unless until you fill in the supplier. If you usually order that Part from the same supplier, it is worth adding it on the Part, that way your buyer won’t have to tell the system who to buy it from each time.
#2 First enter the orders, then Generate Suggestions, then your Buyer would go to New PO suggestions list and decide what to buy.
#3 Yes, when creating POs from PO suggestions, they are “Approved”
#4 we use Misc Header Charge or Misc Line Charges to add charges such as shipping and other misc fees, so that may be something to look into.

1 Like