BAQ External Datasources

I am trying to enable my BAQ External Datasource but it will not not let me add a new. What step am I missing to get this turned on. IT is acting like it is not enabled or something.

There’s a separate External Datasource Maintenance screen where you can set them up, then you go back to this screen and enable them.

2 Likes

Below are some high-level notes I provided to another customer regarding external datasource BAQ reports that include the order of operations for configuring an external datasource.

Conceptually, to create a BAQ report that has data from a database that isn’t within the transactional Epicor ERP database itself:

• one would need to create an external datasource type (system mgt > external business activity query > external datasource types)
  • one would need to create an external data source (system mgt > external business activity query > external datasources) pointing to the external database.
  • one would can set this external datasource as valid within company maintenance (system setup > company/site maintenance > company maintenance. Click on BAQ External Datasources. Check enabled for the data source you created)
  • one would can create an external business activity query (system mgt > external business activity query > external business activity query) to return whatever data they wish to show in this report.
  • one would can then create and publish a BAQ report based off of this external BAQ report. (system mgt > business activity queries > BAQ report designer).

One can view application help from each of those modules for contextual information about what needs to go into any field. Additionally, if you have a training environment and have purchased our embedded education courses, you can review the following courses that cover aspects of what was discussed above:

• Epicor SSRS Reporting: Shipping Reports and BAQ Reports
  • Business Activity Queries
  • Database Concepts
2 Likes

I am guessing setting up an external data source for External BAQs is new to E10?

I believe they were available in E905 as well.

I tried looking in my old environment for this but I don’t see it. I do have an external BAQ but I did everything in BAQ Maintenance when I created it.

Do you have to have an ODBC connection set up on the Appserver to the SQL server?

Need help , sorry to ask in here , but have someone worked on external baqs with views and SSRS, My BAQ works but as soon as I try to print the info or generate it , it says that no records are selected. Wonder if I must have only tables for external baqs.

I will try table - value functions to see if there is any different.

Thanks a lot.