Backflushing of components on phantom BOMs

Hi,

We have recently introduced phantom BOMs and have discovered the materials on the phantom sub-assembly are not backflushing. There is no operation on the phantom BOM which is how we want it because we do not want to have to complete two operations which will be inefficient. When kanban receipting, all parts are backflushed without problem but when a job is raised the materials on the phantom BOM are not backflushed. Does anyone have a solution for this?

Jonathan

For parts to be backflushed, they need to be related to an operation. When we used Phantom parts, we added an operation and for the reporting option, used Backflush only. When this is in place, then the phantom operations will be placed in front of the other operations, and when the reported on operation is done, then then the previous backflush operation will automatically be completed, which will backflush your components. Also, there is a process for backflushing operations that needs to run for those operations to be completed. We put ours on a schedule to run every 2 minutes.

Keep in mind, that if this phantom part number ever get’s onto a job but itself, there will be no way to clock into or complete the operation. But since you don’t want anyways, that doesn’t sound like it would be a problem for you. If you do end up doing that, you just have to change the reporting option on the job to something that they can clock into and complete.

2 Likes

Hi Brandon,

Thanks for this. This sounds a perfect solution but when you say reporting option do you mean labor entry on operations > Detail. Should we select Backflush or Quantity only?

Also, what is the process called to backflush the operation?

Jonathan

Hi,

Sorry, me again. I’ve set this up how I think you suggested and I’m getting the following error message on Start Production Activity:

This is a Backflush Operation. Entry Not Allowed.

Jonathan

Right, so for the backflush operations, the shop floor can’t do anything with them. Say you have 10 phantom parts that go into an assembly. That assembly has to have one reportable operation. When you completete that operation, the backflush operations will get completed when the process runs.

phantom A - op a
phantom b- op b
Assembly - op assembly

when the details get brought into the job you will have

assembly - op a (backflush) op b (backflush) op assembly (reportable)

You only clock into the assembly operation. Then when it’s completed, the backflush operations process will complete op a and op b for you.

Does that make sense? I don’t have access to epicor to make you any screen shots.

Hi,

By “reportable” do you mean: Labour Entry = “Time and Quantity”?

Also, we are using MES to start and end production activity. As such there is no option to clock into a specific assembly operation. The error message I previously described triggered when entering the job number into start production activity job number field.

That’s correct. You need at least one operation that is “time and quantity” to be able to clock into the job. The backflush operations will be listed before that operation, and will be completed automatically.

Can you post a screen shot of your expanded tree on the job?

Hi,

Thanks for all your help so far.

Hi Brandon,

Sorry to bother you, but did you have a chance to look at the screenshot and do you have any idea where we’re going wrong?

Jonathan

So op 10 should be set to backflush, and op 20 should be set to time and quantity. Then when you complete op 20, op 10 will be completed when the backflush operation process runs.

Hi,

I’m still getting the error message:

This is a Backflush Operation. Entry Not Allowed.

When I try to start activity.

Which operation are you trying to start?

When starting production activity on MES terminal, I can’t select which operation. The error message triggers when I tab out of the job number field.

Do you have both operations set as backflush? The second one should not be.

The second Op is set as Time and Quantity as you suggested

Do you have any BPM’s or customizations running? MES should default to the first operation that you can clock into.

1 Like

Hi Brandon,

I’m going to get our developer to look into this. I don’t think we have a BPM but perhaps we do.

Can I also ask what is the process we need to run in order to backflush Op 10?

Search for backflush in the menu search. You should see a process (the screen kind of looks like a report screen). I would tell you exactly, but I don’t have access to a system anymore.

1 Like

Thanks - much appreciated

Hi,

This works perfectly for Phantom BOMs backflushing so thanks for your help on this.

I thought this might also work as a fix for the fact sub-contract ops don’t backflush materials when receipted, however I can’t get it to work for those ops. Do you know why this would be?