Auto Populate Customer Part Number

Good afternoon. I’m just learning about BPM and I was curious if it is possible to have customer part number automatically populate after our Part Number is entered on in the Lines tab? If a match cannot be found, the system could prompt customer service to enter it.

I think it’s possible, and could probably be done just using the standard BPM widgets in a method directive. Is this for new sales orders or purchase orders?

Adam,
It’s for new Sales Orders Only. The way our business processes are setup, we only assign one customer part number to an internal part number. The gap I’m seeing in our existing process is customer service doesn’t always fill in the customer part number in our existing ERP system. As a result, when we try to do any type of forecasting or customer part analysis, we have a not matched group; which requires somebody to go back and update the correlation table.

Alex

I think I’m tracking. If you run a trace on the order entry process, you can pick out a method to make a BPM for. It looks like SalesOrder.MasterUpdate gets called every time and may work. You could create a pre-processing directive for that method, and use the update table by query widget to update the ttOrderDtl.XPartNum with values from a designed query that pulls in the XPartNum.

Thank You… I’ll give it a try and let you know how that works.

1 Like

Also, you’ll want a condition in the beginning to check for a new row added to the ttOrderDtl table, so you can limit when the BPM fires/works.

The best place to put the BPM is on SalesOrder.ChangePartNumMaster, that way the customer part num will update immediately update in the UI after a part number change. Make sure it is a POST bpm - default Epicor logic clears the customer part number (OrderDtl.XPartNum) when the part number changes so any change to this field in a pre BPM would get cleared by base logic.

1 Like

The customer part number will auto populate on charge of part number if one exists for the customer/part combination. If it doesn’t already exist, typing it in the Customer Part field on the line will automatically add it to the customer part cross reference. If you want a customer part # entered for every order line, then you could either make customer part # required - or display a warning to fill it in rather than have a hard stop.

Thank You for your response