Any way to call a BAQ into another BAQ?

So I have a BAQ created with line information that is needed. I also want that information summarized for another panel the the dashboard. Is there a way to feed the child BAQ into a parent BAQ so I don’t have to maintain 2? Is that basically what executive dashboards are for? (I can’t seem to get my head around how those work…)

Not that i know of OTHER THAN putting the data into a SUBQUERY… Sub-Query technology in E10 supports so much stuff that you could not do before.

but once I copy out the initial BAQ and put that previous top level as a sub, I would have to make sure that any changes to the original query have to be duplicated in the summary query right?

yes… you have to make sure…
One “trick” i have done is to create one big BAQ that contains the DETAIL and SUMMARY (and SUPER summary) data all in one BAQ… I “simply” save it three times, changing which of the queries is the top query. If i do a change, then I go back to the detailed one, make the changes, test, then resave again into the other two, again changing which sub-query is the TOP query. This results in identical results in the summaries.

That would be an EPIC feature. Referencing existing baq’s as a sub query. #FeatureRequest

4 Likes

only way to get a new #FeatureRequest made is to submit a new enhancement request… Customers have more clout than us employees :wink:

1 Like

Can’t @Bart_Elia just go wine and dine Edgington? :blush:

I could see where that #FeatureRequest could lead to problems. If you were to reference in another BAQ and then someone was to change a query, delete a field make a bad join decision, change a calculation, etc. it could mysteriously make the upper level query and any places it was used break. Not everyone seems to check where queries are used before making changes

I think copy and make it a subquery and add new top level would be more safe.

I guess if original query was not shared maybe not bad

Edge is my boss now, he shouts, I jump :slight_smile:

If you had use external BAQ (using sql views) at first, it would have been “kinda” easy thing to do.

I agree it could be a problem, but you could say that about BAQ used in dashboards, drop down lists, embedded grids, and that doesn’t even touch the damage you can do with C#. Epicor already has all kinds of tools that can cause problems if not used correctly.