Android Keyboard and potential data issues

Press and hold on the #2 on an android tablet and you will get a superscript 2. Epicor will accept that as a valid bin because up to #3 superscript they are valid numbers anything beyond that becomes UniCode
Be warned ha ha

Wow … I had no idea that Unicode characters outside of the 10 decimal digits (U+0030… U+0039) could have a “Numeric value”

Here’s some outside of that range that do:

• U+00B2 - “Superscript 2”, value = 2
  • U+00B3 - “Superscript 3”, value = 3
  • U+2075 - “Superscript 5”, value = 5
    … thru …
  • U+2079 - “Superscript 9”, value = 9

See: Numerals in Unicode - Wikipedia

1 Like

Everything seemed to function ok, but you sure would hate to have that little nugget buried in a transaction in the event that it’s not ok some day :woozy_face:

1 Like

Wait a minute… The BinNum field is a string, not an integer. So it’s not that the Superscript 2 has a value of 2, but rather the character matches as a ‘2’.

I wish they had made it so that a dash and an em-dash were the same … We had someone copy from a website and the Part Number ended up with an em-dash in it. :frowning:

With the way my db is setup, correct. There may be different collations that may not be the case in, but I dunno.

Is it possible for a BPM to determine the unicode is for non-ASCII charcater? Or would the BPM just see this as being a “2” as well?

Well… I can say that at the least there may be a way to do it with regex?