Advanced Financial Reporting (AFR) Advice

We upgraded from V9 to E10 and need a solution to replace FRX.

I have seen where some people say the standard financial reporting package is pretty good where others have hinted that AFR may be going away.
Can anyone give me some current advice on which direction to go ? (perhaps a 3rd option ?)

If we did install AFR, is it required to install it on a separate server and mirror the SQL DB or would it work OK to install on the primary E10 server with a smaller installation such as ours ?

TIA, Neil

1 Like

I’ve used both FRX and AFR and I’ll say that they are amazing similar in structure and function. AFR is of course better in a number of ways, and play nicely with it’s SQL replication. IT’s been pretty much hands off for a few years now, while the Controller makes his own changes as he adds account numbers and/or alter the chart in other ways.

But you’re at a good crossroads to consider XL Connect. I love that software and woudl reccomend it highly if it’s level of functionality works for you ( aside from it being inside Excel to being with).

As for this part - yes, I would recommend it. It is really SSRS based, but it does some cranking on SQL while it takes the data from your production DB and converts it to it’s own format (in it’s own DB). But it really depends on how often you will sync, how much reporting you do, how complicated the reporting is, etc.etc… Do you have a separate SSRS server for E10? I would condiser putting it on there if your reporting complexity is low/medium load on the server.

@MikeGross thanks for that info.
Any idea regarding the install req’s ?
We have another VM which we use for misc E10 utilities but it has the free version of SQL and I suspect that would not work for replication.

I don’t think Replication works on Express but I’ve not confirmed that. Microsoft keeps changing the rules… As for min requirements - we run everything on VMs - 32 GB memory (minorly oversubscribed on the host), 250 GB OS disk and a 500+GB data disk depending on the needs… AFR runs perfectly fine on that since most of the work is done during synch (all SQL) and the rest is SSRS so it’s really just some queries…

We are VM as well, horsepower isn’t an issue.
I was hoping that the whole separate server thing was only necessary for situations where there was constant financial reporting. Seems like my system will spend MUCH more time replicating than reporting.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got a 5 year GL history( for 10 companies, 3 big, 7 small) that I process every night and the replication is VERY efficient in bringing over just the new rows. It’s the post processing that hurts a server - but honestly it’s only for about an hour total/combined…

If you have much more, then multiply accordingly. If you’ve go the psare horses, and only replicate in the evening, go ahead and put it on the prod DB server. It’s easy enough to undo the replication and move things around. The AFR databases are just a small one that contains the report definitions and the other is the replicated/processed data. You simply configure the AFR service/application to point to each of these accordingly, so they can be moved if the load is too much.

1 Like

@MikeGross - WOW, that was extraordinarily helpful information.

3 things that really stand out,

1. Your DB is likely much larger than mine.
  2. The replication is only a subset of the DB
  3. It would not be terribly difficult to move if necessary.

Another question if you would be so kind, how does the end user access this functionality ?

the end user gets to the reports via SSRS (there some tricky behind the scenes authentication against the epicor security stuff), but the report designer/writer has an application to use that allows for the creation and mgmt of all the pieces like row/column formats, report books, accounts trees, user security, etc.

If I set this up on my Production Server (which I am not worried about horsepower) do I need to do replication at all ?

good question. I don’t know, but I’ll say Yes, for all the standard DBA’s reasons of not mucking about with your production database. :slight_smile:

@MikeGross I am told to look at XL Connect because rumor has it that AFR is going away.
I am going to close this and open a similar one for XL Connect.
Thanks for all your valuable input.

1 Like

No problem!! Happy to be of help. And I agree about XL Connect - you’re at a crossroads where looking at it make sense (as I mentioned above).

Also, if you happen to have EDA (cloud analytic tool by Phocas software) they’ve just introduced a Financial Statements ‘add on’ as well…

1 Like

In my experience, the built-in FRD (Financial Report Designer) in Epicor is a solid report writer. It’s not “sexy” and does require downloading to Excel to spruce up the fonts, and underlines, etc. I found AFR to be very cumbersome and if you miss one character in your logic statement, you will get nothing.

If price is not an issue, and you have requirements for lots of financial reports, I would strongly recommend XL Connect. XLC is an Excel add-in and harnesses the power and functions in Excel. You can easily drag-n-drop columns and the formulas will adjust, accordingly. And now, XLC tied into more than just the GL, AR, and AP modules, now it ties to Sales, Inventory, etc. I believe it ties into 22 tables, but you’d have to check with your Sales rep. to be sure. Also, XLC can tie into other databases and spreadsheets, so it makes linking data waaayyyy easier than anything AFR could do, and with a lot less frustration.