Advanced Billing & Avalara Sales Tax

Hello,

Does anyone do a significant amount of Advanced Billing in E10 and also utilize Avalara? The system does not calculate sales tax until the final “shipment” invoice - is this how you handle it and have you had any issues? Do you ever bill sales tax on Advanced Bills - if so, how?

Back story - we just converted from Infor Syteline and we always used to charge sales tax on every invoice (advanced or final).

Thanks,
Lisa

Avalara uses the ShipTo Address on the packer to determine the tax. Without a packer it can’t do that. Are you including Tax on the Order that the Adv Billing is against?

@lfilzen I have not have been asked to calculate sales tax on an advanced billing invoice. I have been asked to display the sales tax on a proforma invoice - essentially a copy of the sales order in most cases.
If you need to collect payment in advance, maybe you can use the proforma invoice with sales tax calculated form the sales order, then process the customer payment as a deposit against the order.
When you ship the product and invoice, the deposit will automatically apply to the invoice.

I did not know about the pro-forma invoice, thank you. It does not appear that is a way to do a partial pro-forma invoice, is there?

Thank you. Yes, the Order Acknowledgement has tax. We would like to proceed with only billing tax on the shipment invoice, but occasionally we want to include it on a down payment invoice. For example, if we require 100% payment + freight prior to shipment, then we’d like to include tax in that invoice so we do not have to send an additional sales tax only invoice after shipment.

Is your tax type set with the Advanced Billing box ticked?

You are correct in that the Sales Order will have tax, but there is a tick box on the Tax Type that says “Advanced Billing”. If this is not ticked, then when you create an Advanced Billing Invoice, the ADV Invoice will NOT Calculate Tax.

I was told that Avalara does not ever interact with Advanced Billing, even with this check box. I tested and it did not work. Do you use Avalara?

Following this thread as we have the same issue. I am also interested in exploring further work arounds.

There is an enhancement request according to KB0033229, but no idea if there is going to be a follow up and resolution any time soon.

Major shortcoming in our eyes…

Enhancement requests to allow use of Avalara with invoices other than plain vanilla based on shipping:
PRB0168091 Milestone Billing
PRB0098029 Deposit Billing

These things are really stale, but add yourself to them anyway…

Good day, has anyone ever had the following scenario:

Sales Order is raised for $110 incl tax (assume tax rate of 5%)

1st Advanced Billing invoice is raised for $50
2nd Advanced Billing invoice is raised for $60 ($50 sale + $10 tax) - here a manual tax amount was inserted on the Adv Billing invoice to get it to $10

The issue I am having, is the final shipment invoice is raised and the correct tax type is selected that was set up (Adv Billing Box ticked and Partial payment selected on Adv/Dep invoice) and the final shipment invoice is displaying the following on the Summary tab:

Subtotal: 100
Less Adv Billed: 100
Tax: 0
Invoice amount: 0

In the above, I need the final shipment invoice amount to be 0, but the issue is not showing the tax that has already been paid by the customer (as it is showing on the final shipment invoice that the customer only paid us 100 and not the full inclusive amount of 110)