AdminService for OpenEdge starts and dies

There is an admsvr.lock file usually in the Open Edge Manager config folder:

e.g. C:\Progress\OEManage\Config\admsvr.lock

This can in some cases be left lying around after an abrupt reboot.  It will prevent an Admin Server restart and needs to be deleted.

---In vantage@yahoogroups.com, <TechnoBabbly@...> wrote:

Yes, usually because of a botched install or re-install attempt. You can recreate the service as well, I put these instructions in an email to the group a couple months ago.

Assuming your OpenEdge is installed to the Path D:\Epicor\oe102a

Under a command prompt run with admin privileges.

Sc \\EpicorServer create AdminService10.2A binPath= D:\Epicor\oe102a\bin\AdmSrvc.exe DisplayName= “AdminService for OpenEdge 10.2A”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192

This is a nice tool, because if you really want to, you can add a dependency to it, if a person is running the SQL version, and they are running them both on the same server, I have made an edit to make MSSQL a dependency of OpenEdge, that way you never end up with OpenEdge starting, and the Appservers not starting up because SQL hasn’t come online yet and the DB not available for the Appserver to connect to.

Make sure there is a space after the = sign

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Gercar
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:12 PM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Vantage] AdminService for OpenEdge starts and dies

Have you ever seen the admin service disappear?

My workaround is starting the service manually.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ned
Sent: Friday, November 8, 2013 3:09 PM

Normally, this happens because not all the processes that were running before shutdown completely.

Check the Windows Task Manager for any processes that start with an _ or any java.exe processes.

If any exist, manually kill them off and then try to restart.

if you still have a problem, check the oe102a_wrk or whatever relevant wrk folder you have for your open edge install, and check the admsrv.log file for an error, sometimes the windows logs will give you an answer too, but  that’s usually only for password errors, so make sure if the service starts with a username and password, then the password is correct in case it has been updated recently.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Payne
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 1:50 PM
Subject: [Vantage] AdminService for OpenEdge starts and dies

I know the answer is probably in the site and I am going to search now.

the Admin service for Insite manifest not the main app server.

where would I look for a lock file or message on why?

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us at 727-578-6280 and immediately delete the communication.

"This (document/presentation) may contain technical data as defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR 120.10. Export of this material is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) and may not be exported to foreign persons without prior approval form the U.S. Department of State."

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The information contained in this communication, including attachments, is privileged and confidential. It is intended only for the exclusive use of the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us at 727-578-6280 and immediately delete the communication.

"This (document/presentation) may contain technical data as defined in the International Traffic In Arms Regulations (ITAR) 22 CFR 120.10. Export of this material is restricted by the Arms Export Control Act (22 U.S.C. 2751 et seq.) and may not be exported to foreign persons without prior approval form the U.S. Department of State."

Normally, this happens because not all the processes that were running before shutdown completely.

Check the Windows Task Manager for any processes that start with an _ or any java.exe processes.

if you still have a problem, check the oe102a_wrk or whatever relevant wrk folder you have for your open edge install, and check the admsrv.log file for an error, sometimes the windows logs will give you an answer too, but  that’s usually only for password errors, so make sure if the service starts with a username and password, then the password is correct in case it has been updated recently.

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Payne

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The java.exe was still in running in task manager, but the service was not running and I could not start manually.

Insite called me back pretty fast and he killed the process and then the service started.

Thanks

Greg

Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:09 PM

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Yes, usually because of a botched install or re-install attempt. You can recreate the service as well, I put these instructions in an email to the group a couple months ago.

Assuming your OpenEdge is installed to the Path D:\Epicor\oe102a

Under a command prompt run with admin privileges.

Sc \\EpicorServer create AdminService10.2A binPath= D:\Epicor\oe102a\bin\AdmSrvc.exe DisplayName= “AdminService for OpenEdge 10.2A”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192

This is a nice tool, because if you really want to, you can add a dependency to it, if a person is running the SQL version, and they are running them both on the same server, I have made an edit to make MSSQL a dependency of OpenEdge, that way you never end up with OpenEdge starting, and the Appservers not starting up because SQL hasn’t come online yet and the DB not available for the Appserver to connect to.

Make sure there is a space after the = sign

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Anthony Gercar
Sent: Friday, November 08, 2013 3:12 PM

Greg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE