Adding to SSRS Dataset

Hello All - I followed the instructions on how to add a table to an existing dataset using Report Data Definition and Report Style, however, I hit a bump when trying to to open the report in SSRS.

I’m really at a loss as to what to do next. Does anyone have any thoughts?

There are several versions of Report Builder depending on your version of SQL. What version is your SQL Server? Which version of Report Builder are you running (There are TWO called Report Builder 3 but one works below 2016 and another above.)

We are using Report Builder 2012 3.0 and SQL Server 2012 11.0.2100.60

SSRS is also 11.0.2100.60

Odd, since the 2016 in the error message makes it look like it was used by a more recent version of Report Builder… :thinking:

I’ve quickly learned that nothing EVER works the first time in Epicor :slight_smile:
I don’t know much about the inner workings of sql or ssrs - I’ve been writing queries for use in Crystal Reports and Excel dynamic files for years, but SSRS and Epicor are new to me.

Where did you get the SSRS file?

It’s a copy of the existing SSRS in use.

In report data definition, I duplicated it and added the new table. For reference, I’m trying to pull the part description from the order line rather than the part. We have a generic spare parts part number that we use, but want the description from the order to fill in on our material queue report instead. This is a custom report that was created by a consultant when Epicor was implemented.
I created the relationship between mtlqueue and orderdtl, and saved it.
Using report style, I copied the report style using mtlqueue_v2. I then did ‘sync dataset’.
According to Epicor instructions, I am supposed to go the downloaded new version in explorer, open that, and add the new field(s). However, doing that opens a funky looking version of SSRS. In that version I was able to add the new field by resetting the expression for part description to line description.
Using this method, the new report version isn’t what prints out of Epicor. So - I thought I could open SSRS, open my dowloaded version and change in what appears to be the correct ssrs environment, but that throws the error shown above.

Oh no. That’s only for BAQ Reports. Unfortunately, that will hose your report. You will probably have to start over with a new download.

Once you’ve downloaded it again, open it directly with the proper Report Builder and you should be back in business. You might have two versions of RB and once the other one opened it, it converted it. :frowning:

Wow - that’s right in the Epicor manual! I’ll try it again - thanks!

1 Like