Adding many lots per one receipt line... any built in functionality?

We create a PO line with say 10 qty on it.

Then the vendor ships us 10 pieces. For each piece we would like to create a new lot on receipt.

Currently they are entering a new receipt line so that they can generate a new lot for each piece.

Is there any way to receive with one receipt line, but generate 10 lots?

Thanks in advance.

-Utah

The receipt detail record only has one lot field so a new record (i.e. line) is needed for each lot.

You might be able to automate the creation of new lines with a BPM (maybe a “create another line” button?) and then use the List tab to fill in the lot numbers.

We have a custom button to generate multiple lots per receipt line. Be happy to show it to you. Our partner built it.

Brad, that would be cool.

Would you mind showing it to me?

-Utah

Sure. email me at bboes@servicesteel.com and we can setup a Teams meeting to review

would you be willing to share ? is this a complex customisation because we are on the cloud and we want to be as vanilla as possible…

This sounds like one lot of ten serialized parts, not ten lots. Rather than jumping down the customization route, why not just serialize the part?

1pc lots are usually a :dumpster_fire: IMHO. They’re an indication of some kind of failure in the traceability process that’s duct-taped by just splitting everything into to tedious little units that eventually spiral into a big knot whenever you try to manage at scale.

Kludging the system to turn the 1:1 ReceiptLine:Lot relationship to a 1:Many design is something I’d strongly advise against.

you cannot serialize parts that are stocked in decimal. We want to track bar stock but we want each individual bar to be tracked properly. what would you suggest ?

btw is there a chat in this forum ? i would like to talk directly with you.

1 Like

If you’re tracking individual pieces, it’s not really a great fit for decimal either (which implies a level of fungibility that’s contrary to piece-level tracking). We don’t serialize bar stock, but we do have serialized blocks, sheets, etc. We issue the whole thing to a job. Though since the unused portion of bar stock isn’t automatically scrap, I’d admit that isn’t ideal either. Though we have a few MOM’s that use the co-part functionality to spit out usable remains.

There is the Epicor Advanced UOM module, which is specifically meant for stuff like bar stock. Have you looked at that?

Afraid not.

1 Like

That’s by design really. Chat is by nature fleeting so to preserve and spread information, conversations that are in the open in the forum helps other people be able to find things. (like this old post). If you look at some other chat platforms (like the slack channel that Brent Ozar has for SQL things) it’s really hard to find anything useful in and sort of history.

To the original question, we also have that mod, and no it’s not simple.

1 Like

OK great. i think i will start anew thread then and try to get response from there.

1 Like

This button is stock, and it will make a new line with a button click. It’s still one at a time, but it’s there. (I don’t know if it’s in kinetic or not)

1 Like

this is a way of doing it but receiving each bar in a different lot is time consuming. Also you do have to rewrite each trackable attributes (heat number, mfg batch,…). Having the possibility use serial numbering would be best but i cannot use it because my part has decimal unit

1 Like

We do the same with spools of wire and cable. I have to know I have X feet on a spool/lot and not that I have X feet on hand, but we will get 20 spools on a pallet. We receive and inspect as one lot and then use a split lot customization in inventory transfer to make sub lots from the received lots.

If it is only a few spools they will receive them one lot at a time.

1 Like