You could try opening a cmd as administrator
and try typing in commands from that screen shot

The batch file basically has 4 sections

• 1 setting the environment and changing to the db directory
  • 2 - stop the Appservers and then stop the db
  • 3 - wait for the db lock file to disappear
  • 4 - start the db and then start the appservers

The examples in the batch file are for a default install on the C:/ drive
But… your’s may be different and without the Progress Explorer, could be tricky verifying your path(s) and AppServer names are the same

And as mentioned by another user… are you able to get into ProMon?
Or… how about ProEnv - do you have a shortcut, can start that (cmd line for some Progress functions)?

1 Like

If you can get into ProEnv, I would suggest trying to make a backup before getting too adventurous.
Ref screen shot - where path may or may not match your system

2 Likes

ProEnv worked. Did as you stated and it says There is no server for database mfgsys. <1423>

Replaced ONLINE with BUT and received: Could not recognize argument V8L.9.26.19.BAK ERROR-Database Utility backup utility FAILED!!! <8563>

Just to be sure, you should remove ONLINE, not replace it with BUT

Anyway… can you verify your db path?
e.g. C:\Epicor\MfgSys803\db
and you see files similar to screen shot below

• and if so, is there is a file called mfgsys.lk
    — which would mean the db file is locked (regardless of whether it is really running or not).

That file is no there. When i removed the word BUT, it did a backup.

Screen shot of the c:\epicor\mfgsys803\db folder?
(or wherever your mfgsys.db file is)

try the following

1. Launch Progress ProEnv

2. In the ProEnv window (like @bordway showed),
    a. Type prompt and hit enter
    b. Type E: and hit enter (you’re probably alread in the E: driv, bu this won’t hurt.
    c. Type cd \epicor\mfgsys803\db and hit enter
    d. Type asbman -name MfgSys803ProcessServer -kill and hit enter. This should end the ProcessServer App
    e. Type asbman -name MfgSys803TaskAgent -kill and hit enter. This should end the TaskAgent App
    f. Type asbman -name MfgSys803 -kill and hit enter. This should end the main App
    d. Type dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database MfgSys803 -stop and hit enter. This should stop the DB.

3. If you got an errors, report them back to us. If not, try restarting everything by entering each of these on the ProEnv window (one at a time):
    a. dbman -host localhost -port 20931 -database MfgSys803 -start
    b. asbman -name MfgSys803 -start
    c. asbman -name MfgSys803TaskAgent -start
    d. asbman -name MfgSys803ProcessServer -start

Getting Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NullPointerException at com.progress.common.util.acctAuthenticate.add37<acctAuthenticate.java:503

looks like either the OepnEdge install is corrupted, or that there is some AV or firewall stopping this.

1 Like

I have the firewall off and the AV removed from this server. So, Open Edge is corrupted. Anyway to fix this? If not, I’ll call it trash.

Check out this thread…

This issue can happen if host name of the machine is missing from the host file, or host name in misspelled in the hosts file.
Can yo think of any recent changes to your network, that could affect how is the IP/Hostname assinged/resolved for your Vantage server? What does your hosts file look like?

Otherwise might be worth searching Google for some of the Progress errors.
Since the backup worked earlier, I’m guessing the basic Progress install might be OK - just something in your environment changted.

Wait … What do you mean trash it? Was this an older system with historical data? Or part of your current production system?

Historical data, our live is 10.2.300.10. We order dies that are good for 7 years and we have only been out of vantage for 5. Unfortunately, the only way things were tracked back then was on the order. So without being able to access it, it will be a nightmare for some orders but it will not kill us.

We’re in a similar boat. On 10.1.400, (from Vista 8.03 back in November 2016). Except we actually just turned off the V8 server. Then if someone really needs that info we have to go through the whole process of starting that old server up again. It’s surprising how many requests went away after you tell them it would take a day or so to get that info. Seems that speed bumps do work!

One thing I did do prior to shutting down or V8 system, was to export the high frequency tables (Customer, Part, Orderxxx, Invxxx, PO, etc…) to excel files. Not the complete tables, but the majority of the columns.

1 Like

Yeah, I did not do that. I was told when I started almost three years ago that they were going to shut down this server then and so I never gave it much thought. Now, well, lesson learned.

Apparently there’s even a way to export the progress DB directly into a SQL DB. It creates all the table structures and copies all the data. But it requires that the SQL server be the same bit depth (32 bit vs 64), as the Progress DB. This isn’t for migration, just a way to copy all the data and table structures to a SQL DB. Then you could sql queries of the old data.

Our V8 was on a 32 bit system, and the E10 SQL server was 64, so we couldn’t take advantage of this. :frowning:

1 Like

Was reading the article that was mentioned and it’s talking about the host file. I have been looking for this for a few days now and nothing. Ideas on where it might be located? Starting to hate Vantage.

look in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Thanks, but nothing is working. I think it is time I just play Taps and lay it to rest. Thanks everybody for the help.