Use same .rdl for 2 different Report Styles?

Does anyone know of a problem with using the same custom report folder and .rdl for 2 different print styles?

We have a customized SSRS invoice. We are now preparing to use this invoice with SSRS Breaking/Routing rules. The Breaking/Routing rules will be on a new Report Style so that a user can easily choose to select the style without Breaking/Routing when appropriate. I was initially thinking we would have to maintain 2 different custom report folders and .rdl’s and manually keep them in sync.

However, I found that I can have both styles use the same report location. I haven’t decided whether this is an intentional capability, or an undocumented feature.

Anyone else using the same report location for 2 different styles?

Thanks!

I use the same RDL for 2 report styles, particularly like you said for routing enabled report styles. no problem there.

1 Like

I have a report where 4 styles use the same .rdl. I actually use the stylenum (or maybe its an Option field that the BAQ doesnt actually use) in expressions in the rdl to change the output (deciding which tablixes to show or hide)

1 Like

A huge word of advice… when making a style with break/routing, that uses the standard RDD, duplicate the RDD first, and use that for the style.

Because you can’t select a different RDD after youve made it break/routing. But you can update the one specified. (You can’t update the standard RDD)

If the only difference is to use the rules or not to use the rules, train the user(s) to uncheck the box if they don’t want to use the rules. There’s a checkbox on the Print popup that can be unchecked. We use it often, since people want to preview it to be sure it’s correct before sending it out.