Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.2

Hi Pierre. We have been live on 10.2.100.8 for 1 month now. We upgraded from 10.1.500.11. I have about 15 customizations in all, but my Quote Entry and Order Entry customizations are the most complex. I didn’t have to rewrite either of them, only had to move group boxes and fields around because they were overlapping each other. Most of the other customizations converted just fine. There was 1 customization that was built on Customer Entry for a select group of users so that most tabs/fields were not editable. That one didn’t work at all and had to be rewritten, but it was a very simple customization so no big deal.
Good luck!
-Sharla

Thanks for your input Sharla,

I guess we will cross our fingers that it will be same for us! But I suspect more issues as it is a bigger version change than yours…

Will keep you posted … :wink:

Pierre

Hello Pierre,

We went from 10.0.700.4 to 10.2.100. The biggest issue was rebuilding RDDs and there is no easy way to move your SSRS reports (at least for hosted companies like us). Like Sharla, we had to rearrange fields on our customizations, rebuild the Dashboards, and validate the BPMs. It really wasn’t that bad.

Mark W.

Pierre, I agree with Mark. Rebuilding the RDDs (for some, not all, of our SSRS reports and the RDDs for our outbound EDI definitions… and consequently our EDI link plans in TIE) were the biggest pain for our upgrade.
-Sharla

Oh, we also had to recompile our Electronic Interface but that was no big deal either.

Mark W.

Did anyone have to redeploy their clients after upgrading from 10.0 to 10.2? We would like to avoid having to do this, we would like instead for the clients to perform the auto update because of the number of clients and MES stations we have it would be a pain to have to redeploy the clients.

We are getting ready to go from from 10.0.700 to 10.2.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, the auto update really only works with the “.” releases/patches. When making larger jumps with upgrades I’ve had to handle the install via tools like xcopy, GPO or other software package installers.

Kelly

1 Like

Hi,

The client DLL’s are different between 10.0 and 10.2.

If you don’t upgrade your client, you’ll get client mismatch errors that stop anyone logging in.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

1 Like

what if we tried upgrading to 10.1 first and then onto 10.2, would this allow us to circumvent having to redeploy the clients? Probably not but worth asking.

In my experience, any upgrade, even a patch upgrade needs a client upgrade.

For example, I recently did a patch upgrade from 10.1.6.05 to 10.1.600.18. and ot the following error - ‘version mismatch between client (10.1.600.5) and server (10.1.600.18)’.

Best Regards,

Andrew.

Right I know that but I am talking about having to install an entire new client which is what I am trying to avoid.

Nope :frowning: Has to be within the same version for the auto update to work.

Kelly

2 Likes

Yea that’s what I thought to. Thank you for all the replies. Looks like either create a script to do a deployment or use a software package installer tool.

Join the list of people who would like a “Local Deployment” option where some computer looks for changes at Epicor, downloads it, and then the local stations upgrade from there.

Mark W.

Brandon - This might help: 10.2 Client Deployment Options - #3 by myutzy - ERP 10 - Epicor User Help Forum

1 Like

Dear group: We are also starting the process of upgrading 10.0 to 10.2. Do you recommend upgrading to 10.1 first, or directly from 10.0 to 10.2? Also, do you recommend installing 10.2 on the production 10.0 server and running the upgrade or installing 10.2 on a new server?

Thank you in advance.

You can go from 10.0 right to 10.2.

If you have a ‘TEST’ server I would do the upgrade there first. You will need to do some work to any customizations and BPMs when moving from 10.0 to 10.2. Plus it is always best practice to do any upgrades on a TEST server first before your Production box.

Hi Team

We are looking at going from 10.1.400 to 10.2.300. We have 4 test dbs on one TEST application server and were wanting upgrade 1 or 2 of them to 10.2 for testing. Can we do this and have the 10.1.400 DBs still functional on the 10.2 application server. The manual say you can upgrade a db individually but doesn’t say what happens when you upgrade the Application server. Or should we just VM a copy of our Test server and upgrade them all?

Darren,

You can have different versions running on the same server, no problem. One important thing to remember is that you will need both versions of the task agent service running on the server at the same time in order to run the task agents for both versions. You will need to run the client installer on your client machines for the new environment version, the auto update function will not work with that upgrade.

Great, thanks Joshua

Much help!