SQL LDF Size

PDT tool tells us to reduce the size of the LDF file. The size is at 130GB. We have a full back being performed daily and see no size change. I performed a manual shrink immediately following a log backup and nothing changed.
When I open the properties and look at the log file i see it has an initial size of 126,976MB. That seems really high (system was set up by previous management).

Am I missing something? Is the initial size prohibiting it from shrinking? How do i get the log to shrink?

(FYI - i shrunk by doing a full log backup and right clicking DB - Tasks - Shrink - files. Selected file type of log. (Currently allocated space: 126,976MB; Available free space: 101925.02MB (80%)), Clicked ok. )

@aidacra

Take a look here

in short your production DB should be set to FULL recovery mode, and you should be doing backups and log backups.
To get this back to a manageable stage - move to SIMPLE, SHRINK, then back to FULL. Add Log Backups based on your level of Risk (Like RPO Recovery Point Objective) of 5-15 Minutes. Then asses what your LDF log file sits at, then grow your log to that size and monitor.

Hope that helps

2 Likes

Discussing recovery models, maintenance of transaction log files, and backup schemes can be a complicated topic–and I’ve never met a person that really enjoys it.

So, I have some questions:

1. How much data is your company willing to lose if your SQL server fails hard and how much time can you be down while trying to recover?
  • Not even a single transaction with no downtime? Possible, but, expensive and relatively complicated.
  • Up to a day’s worth of data loss with no urgency on getting back operational? Inexpensive and relatively simple.
  • Something between those extremes?
  1. How much in-house SQL DBA expertise do you have currently / could potentially have now?
  • With more expertise more options are available.
  1. Are you doing anything with your transactional log (LDF) now? ← probably not.
  2. How much storage space do you have OFF of your SQL server to use for backups?

With those 4 questions answers, one can devise a solution that fits into a company’s operational needs in terms of transaction loss(with complexity increasing with loss of transactions decreasing), downtime, and cost.

Hang in there, I’ll respond to the actual question about LDF eventually :slight_smile:

Potential backup strategies:
You want something super simple to implement, can only lose four hours of transactions, super simple to recover from with minimal downtime and disk space is infinite/don’t worry about how many versions of backups you have?

• Full backups every four hours
  • Backups should be stored off the SQL server
  • Set your recovery model to SIMPLE (as you aren’t doing anything with your transaction log) and ignore the PDT Config check on the RECOVERY model rule.

Not quite right for your needs? Most probably wouldn’t be OK with that much loss.

How about you want something not incredibly complicated (relatively speaking) to implement, can only lose at most one hour of transactions, simple to recover as you’ll have a script to help with the recovery restore with moderate downtime and disk space is less than infinite?

• Full backup every day
  • Differential backup 12 hours after/before full backup
  • Transaction log backup every hour
  • TSQL script to do the restore order already created
  • Leave your RECOVERY model at FULL

NOTE: changing this strategy from up to an hour of loss to 10 minutes requires nearly zero effort–just change the frequency of the transaction log backups.

Are there simple ways to implement these backup strategies?
Of course! We live in an era where most routine SQL activities are solved by really knowledgable people to make them easy to implement.

There are lots of 3rd party backup solutions (redgate SQL backup pro, acronis, Litespeed, etc) as well. I don’t have an official opinion on any of them as I haven’t had a professional need for something other than some variation of what is above.

Recovery process:

• Latest full backup (Required).
  • Latest differential backup (Optional)
  • Unbroken sequence of transaction log backups (Optional).

All transaction logs should be restored with NO RECOVERY option (except for the last one).

• Prevents database from being accessed while restore process is taking place.

SOooOoOOOOooO, to the question of how to shrink your LDF file…
It depends on whether or not you are currently doing anything with your LDF file (transactional log backups, log shipping, replication, etc) or plan on doing anything that requires maintenance to your LDF file. If you are ok with completing some combo of full backups and differentials every X amount of time so you only lose up to X amount of transactions with latest full/latest differential, don’t want to deal with keeping track of an uninterrupted log chain, and have lots of space on a server that isn’t your SQL server, then, just set the recovery model to SIMPLE (and then implement a backup scheme that takes that into account) and simplify your life on the “something broke and I need to do something” front.

DISCLAIMER:
The conventional wisdom is that everyone should use full recovery with frequent transaction log backups to allow for point in time recovery, while shrinking the LDF during backup events. When properly implemented and tested frequently (a backup isn’t good unless it is tested as good), it’s the gold standard but, it has greater than zero implementation and recovery cost. Get a firm handle on what the business needs are, and a solution will present itself based on the 4 questions/parameters at the beginning. Never do more than what is needed to accomplish the goal.

Officially, the PDT config check should be simply followed as each one of those rules was created due of some other person’s misfortune and that rule is now a warning to everyone else so they don’t have to run into that same problem that prompted the rule.

Unofficially, the PDT config check (ERP Analyzer as well) should always be given the benefit of every doubt but if you think you could convince @Bart_Elia, @Edge, @Olga or me that you know why the recommendation is generally good but in your specific use case why a specific rule can be safely ignored, that’s alright. If you do ignore it for very good XYZ reason, remember that literally any performance problem you submit to Support you’ll be forced to hear the analyst tell you to change it though :slight_smile:

13 Likes

@aidacra, I love you man.

@aidacra, thank you for your excellent response.

We currently have a maintenance plan that does a full backup daily with log backups ever hour. Also, our server is being replicated (up to 30 sec lag) off site (Zerto).

Knowing this maintenance schedule, our DB is at 130GB, should our LDF really be at 130GB? As i mentioned i see our initial size setting for the LDF is 126GB. Should that be changed? Like i said, when i attempt to skrink the ldf, it doesn’t shrink.

@aidacra

But what should our ‘initial’ log size be set at?

1 Like

Sorry I missed this earlier. Are you using SQL replication for anything? If so, you can’t shrink you LDF. Ideally, autogrowth events on any database file shouldn’t occur so you want it large enough to handle whatever is needed between maintenance events.

Are you using SQL replication for anything like Epicor AFR (Advanced Financial Reporting)? If so, your ldf can’t be shrunk in this way.

Are your full backup events shrinking the ldf file as well?

If you set the initial size of your LDF to 10GB and then go through the shrink process within SQL just for your LDF file, does it shrink? If so, without me knowing anything about your transactional volume, 10GB would be a not unreasonable initial size.

No replication. (although we are going to roll out off site replication using Zerto soon). The full backups do shrink the LDF but seconds after shrinking I get ‘log file size low’ alerts and it grows right back to the same size it was, 132GB. What is that telling me?

When the ldf shrinks on a full backup, will it ever shrink less than the initial value? is 130GB for the LDF crazy when the MDF is 136GB?

it would be appear to be excessive, yes. So, set the initial size to 10GB and after the next shrink event, what happens? Does it stay at 10GB or 136GB?

@josecgomez you missed an Experts Corner post in here by @aidacra :slight_smile:

Fixed thanks! I should set up a rule to automatically move @aidacra’s posts to the EC :smiley:
Thank you Nathan!! You rock

it jumps back to 136GB.

I am revisiting this topic because nothing seems to have changed. I am still seeing our initial size grow really large for the LDF.

Our DB is 138GB. I set our initial LDF size to 50MB. Run script to tell me utilization and every time I run it, it tells me 99% free. All is good. This tells me our LDF is still set too high but I will address that after this current issue is resolved.

We are in full recovery mode. Run daily full backup’s with hourly transaction log backups. We run a weekly maintenance plan that does a full backup, runs a clean up task removing old DB’s, and then reindexes.

After the weekly backup is complete, the LDF size jumps all the way to 113GB. I check the initial size and it has changed to 113GB. Script still reports 99% free.

Why does the initial keep jumping back up to 113GB when 99% of log is free?

@hkeric.wci, @aidacra