Special "Historical DMT" license?

Ok that’s making sense now. I did not realize you were doing a data migration. It isn’t DMT’s fault per se that this can’t be done because in the E10 application the Sales Order Line and Release line numbers are not user maintainable. It’s just the way it is. The powers that be have decided that the system will assign those numbers sequentially and leave them greyed out. No matter how you are loading your orders, either with DMT or ‘by hand’, you will have to follow the business object’s methods.

There are two solutions I would recommend:

1. As mentioned before, run the DMT to load bogus releases along with your open releases to ‘space them out’, then run a 2nd DMT to delete the extra ones later.

2. During data migration I personally created custom fields in E10 to refer to the legacy system’s orders so that I could do a data lookup in preparation for later imports. I gave customer service a list of what the order/line/rel was and what it became. After a couple of months everything flushed out.

Everyone goes whacko when Net Neutrality gives ISPs the ability to nickle and dime you to sell you packages to access “Netflix, YouTube” or a +5$ Package to sell you the “Social Media Package”… But when an ERP Company does it, we just say its business :slight_smile:

I totally agree, I think selling a Module is okay, but when you start selling me a tab within the module or a checkbox within the module, its kinda desperate. I could even live with ISPs selling Packages, but just imagine if you bought “YouTube” and then had to pay seperately for “Music Videos” or “Videos above 20min”

My Expectation is when I buy DMT I get it all… a Data Management Tool, not be nickle and dimed. I bet the next thing coming is, you pay 5$ per Table you want to DMT :slight_smile:

But then again, Micro-Transactions exist now everywhere.

In regards to the CAM my CAM is still looking for the “User Scheduler” for 3 mos already, he says Epicor doesnt sell it, I sent him screenshots hes at a loss. I dont think they are aligned on all the products yet.

PS: The Entire SSRS/Breaking Routing Module which gives you more functionality should be out of the box or as part of ICE Tools.

6 Likes

On the other hand, MtlSeq on a BOM is user maintainable. I can have seq #'s 10,15,18, 20, 25, 30. But importing that into E10 via DMT, sets them to 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60.

Also, there are individual DMTs for Order Header, Line and Release. If no line 5 existed in the OrderDtl file to upload, line 6 becomes 5, and a single release is automatically created. Then line 7 in the upload file becomes line 6. So when the releases are uploaded, all the release’s for line 6 get added to what was line 7.

1 Like
  1. this is not logically consistent - the same logic applies to non-sequential quotes and non-sequential orders and yet DMT handles non-sequential quotes and orders correctly. Further, you can delete releases using business objects. If DMT notices a non-sequential release it should pop in a dummy release to preserve the ordering and then immediately delete it, which would PRESERVE DATA INTEGRITY.
  2. you’re missing the whole point of this thread, which is: We purchased the DMT tool which is advertised and sold as (see website )
  • Import, add, update and delete application data safely and efficiently.
  • Application logic ensures security, data integrity and optimal performance.

DMT alone absolutely does not meet those criteria. Only “Historical DMT” will ensure data integrity, while DMT alone actually corrupts data. Re-numbering order releases breaks everything. It shouldn’t be this way. This is a violation of Truth in Advertising laws.

I’m not here for tech support on this issue, I’m just here to make everyone aware of the Truth in Advertising violations so that we can all put pressure on Epicor to be honest. If there is a historical DMT license, it should be provided to everyone with DMT today.

3 Likes

Just email dotnetIT directly…I don’t go to my CAM for any of their products for the same reason

2 Likes

Thanks Aaron. I had not heard of dotnetIT before you posted it.

The entire point of DMT is to mimic business logic, doing en masse something that could have been done slowly by hand. The complaint shouldn’t be with DMT, it should be with the underlying business object. I also found this particular set of business objects to be a huge frustration during our 18 month migration project.

• Import, add, update and delete application data safely and efficiently.
  • Application logic ensures security, data integrity and optimal performance.

This refers to the data within Epicor. Not trying to sound snarky here but Epicor does not care about an external legacy ERP system. What they are saying is that for the data you put in, the business objects will control the data so that it’s injected as safely as if you had done it ‘by hand’ which means all logical layers are applied, including user BPMs. Only caveat- it does not use any screen customizations you may have created. By ‘Application logic’ they’re referring to E10 business objects, not the DMT program. If you want to continue fighting Epicor, this is probably what they will say.

Could you talk them into trying to detect number skips and delete the lines for you? Why not try? What if release line is 10005 or C or in the case of my foxpro legacy system every release was unique e.g. _4XX0O5OMW?

Here is my Bill of Materials template, I can add new MtlSeq records with any number I need, it does not change them on me. 10.2.300.15

Trust me I have my own complaints about DMT, am involved in a DMT issue with support right now that’s very frustrating but by and large I’ve been satisfied with DMT and use it all the time. You want it to act just like the application. I wouldn’t touch a legacy DMT type tool that circumvents or otherwise tricks business objects with a ten foot pole. There are a couple of tips and tricks to importing data the first time which will never be needed again.

Mark we’ve been an Epicor/Vantage customer since the DCD days, more than 20 years. This is not an external system, this is Vantage, the product which was upgraded and renamed to Epicor. This is their own product, we are migrating data from an epicor product to an epicor product.

I expect a tool advertised and sold to me as “migrating data with integrity” to preserve the integrity of the data.

I did already try to “talk them into trying to detect number skips and delete the lines for you”. But instead of acknowledging the data corruption as a bug to be fixed they instead insist that I need to purchase Historical DMT. Seems like nonsense to me. It should be a very straight-forward bug fix. What Epicor customer anywhere ever would want to renumber order releases? It’s the definition of data corruption.

I agree with you in spirit, one would think Epicor would have a tool that is not DMT but something expressly designed to upgrade to their current software.

1 Like

The Easier and More Affordable they make it for you to migrate your old ERP System into Epicor the easier they will sell.

If I implemented Epicor for 5yrs and we were unhappy and SAP came along and said, garuanteed migration within 1 day, spot-perfect from Epicor to SAP… We have a database conversion tool specifically made for Epicor to SAP or w/e… they can go after alot of Customers to bite. Vice-Versa if Epicor mastered the art of SAP 2 Epicor Conversion, the Market becomes like a All you can eat Buffet.

Hey sounds like the same way we select a Bank… Which Bank has good APIs, ACH, Positive Pay and Support… If you go with a Local Credit Union, you will struggle and they usually lack the Technical Staff to assist you within minutes with SFTP and MICR Testing etc…

Hi guys ,

there exists another Data migration tool like DMT ,

it’s calls Smart Data Migration tool and helped me a lot in order to migrate data from old system to Epicor and now I
use it in order to import Data from another systems.

You can try it.

Stelios

I am having trouble locating this tool. Can you provide a link?

This video mentions “Aegix Agelix Smart Data Migration tool” at around 0:02

Then shows the application being launched at 0:38

1 Like

Check out Smart Data Migration Tool - Agelix Consulting

Looks like a third party tool. Not sure if it runs inside of an E10 session. But mentions it for use in SaaS environments - where you wouldn’t have access to run programs (like DMT) right on the server.

Please share. happy to hear others tips.
I’m on my second implementation using DMT, the last one was Epicor Enterprise,ePrpject and front office into 9.05.701. now a legacy progress based Timber system to 10. The current release of DMT is a world apart from the old E9 version. I wonder how coped back then.

Yes, it is a third party tool, works fine on E10 and can be run from any client. The critical is that this tool use Epicor
Standard Business Methods in order to import the data and it isn’t a developed program for a specific version.

I found the link

https://www.agelixconsulting.com/platform/smart-data-migration-tool/

Just noticed this in 4.0.44 of the DMT
image So it looks like you just need the right license and it’s there in the DMT. I thought it was a totally different version.

any good this tool? i found it today. how much is it?

Hi Stelio,
I hope you are doing well!
we are doing a Vantage 6.1 to Epicor Kinetic migration at Netcom and going live April 1st. Were did you find the Smart Data Migration tool?
Vassilis