Slow Moving Inventory Report

I’m looking for information on how to create a report to show slow moving inventory in Epicor 8. I’m not good at creating BAQs and don’t know where to begin with this. We’re looking to have a BAQ show parts, part description, on hand quantity, last date used, warehouse, and BIN with a date of last used a year or more.

Any tips or help on getting this BAQ up and running?

The BAQ designer in V8 is so primitive e.g. summarized tables only allow the use of TOTAL, AVG, or COUNT expressions.

So… for slow moving inventory, instead of BAQ, I have used ODBC with something… e.g. Crystal, Excel, etc…
Keep in mind ODBC can open up a can of worms so personally, I am pretty conservative with its use/who I’d grant access.

First thing to do is get a consensus on what “slow moving” means.

A BAQ on the PartTran table would be your best bet. It has a record of every time the QOH changed, and what caused it. The TranType field will be something like:

• PUR-STK - A PO receipt increased QOH by the TranQty. Note a negative TranQty for this tran type mean that the receipt was deleted (so the QOH went down)
  • STK-CUS - A customer Shipment (packer). Decreases the QOH by TranQty.
  • STK-MTL - part issued to manufacturing. Decreases the QOH by TranQty.
  • STK-UKN - part was misc issued. Decreases the QOH by TranQty.
  • ADJ-QTY - a Qty Adjustment was made. Increases the QOH by TranQty.

and so on…

The trickiest part is making sure you apply the correct sign to the TranQty, based on the TranType.

Worst case, just export PartTran and post process it in Excel.

Did Vantage 8 not have the Stock Slow Moving Report?

NO, as far as I know the only thing even close in V8 is the inventory usage report that you might be able to find slow moving items with. But it is pretty hard to work with, one of those old Progress “Text” style reports that can’t be modified. i.e. why you’re probably looking at Crystal, ODBC and/or adding SQL view(s).

Yes, when not well defined up front… expect endless rework.

No it didn’t.

P.S.
The good old days… weren’t.

1 Like

At least it was easy to tell if it was not customizable. I’d ask the user, “does it look like it was printed on a typewriter?”
(Not everyone knows what a monospaced font is)

Ugh, great… I may tap into the ODBC then to see what I can do.

I will get with my team and see what they see as slow moving parts. From the sounds of it, it will be something along the lines of a part not issued to manufacturing.