Scheduling a Process>Custom action

I would like to have a generic process run off of the task scheduler that performs the same action as a BAQ would, but instead of being triggered by an event, it would be triggered by a schedule.
I’m thinking one way to do this could be to schedule a BAQ export and then build a custom action from the uBAQ, but this does seem a bit complicated for the task at hand.

Is there a better way to accomplish performing a custom action while utilizing the scheduled tasks?

An approach I’ve taken in the past for this is to box up an executable with visual studio, say a console App for example. You can take several approaches from there. Use REST, WCF services etc to watch for a file, or even execute against your DB through the BO’s etc… You then use windows task scheduler to run this as needed.

Thanks Rob, that’s definitely an option too. It would be really nice to have the solution to be self contained within the ERP, but I’ll definitely explore that as well

agreed, definitely preferential, what are you trying to accomplish?

A new requirement came along for an alert to be emailed out if a record appears in a UD table. The UD table is filled via SQL so it bypasses the standard BPM approach. I want to scan the table periodically and check for the presence of these records and then generate the alert. It would be nice to turn it on/off inside ERP because I imagine this requirement will eventually fade away.

You can design a BAQ report on the UD table and then put the report on the schedule to print/email per the flow required.

Vinay Kamboj

If I am understanding correctly, you’re suggesting a BAQ report that gets sent on a schedule? I would only want it to go out if the conditions are met, which this wouldn’t do. Unless there’s a way to send it conditionally!

The conditions can be checked in the BAQ itself or in the BAQ report. It returns data only if the conditions are met else the BAQ returns nothing and no report will be generated.

Vinay

1 Like

Neat idea, I’ll check it out, thank you Vinay!