Need help from (Motorola Model# MC9090 Scanner) users

I’ve posted before looking for suggestions/recommendations on a user friendly handheld scanner that we can use to issue material to a tooling job from our tool crib area. I’ve had several responses on different types of scanners that are being used and we have gone down a few different paths looking at the various types available, but have not found the perfect solution yet.

In contacting one company, their recommendation was the Motorola MC9090 (which coincidentally is the scanner that we currently have, but have been unsuccessful in getting it configured properly with our Epicor version 9.05.701).
It was initially purchased when we went live with Vantage 8.03.409 and is and older Windows version.

After this long explanation … what I am looking for is any user out there currently using the Motorola MC9090 / and Epicor MES (Issue Material) function that would be willing to help us get this scanner configured properly and integrated with Epicor.
Once logged into Epicor all we want the user to have to do is log in via their Emp ID
Click on “Issue Material” (This is the only menu item they need to see)
Scan the job barcode / or enter Job#
Scan the Part Number
Enter Qty
Scan the Warehouse
Scan the Bin
Exit

Please and thanks …
Carol

Carol you may want the HandHeld version instead of the MES version. The handheld version is simple text based menus.

Your IT folks would need to configure a remote app instance of your desired client (whether it’s E10, MES, or HandHeld). Then on the MC9090 you remotely access the remote app.

If you have the HH version, you can see the demo at:
Material Management > Data Collection > HandHeld > Demo Menu

Chris, Would you be willing to do a phone call with myself and our Network administrator to outline the steps necessary to get this device configured?
If so, let me know when would be a good time to call and if you could provide a number to contact you at.

Thanks so much.
Carol

I don’t know that I would be the best help. I know the generals but not the specifics since I am not an IT guy.

I can tell you that we use what called is Remote Resources and connect to it with RDP.

Okay … thank you. If Neil, our Network Administrator has any questions, I may forward him to you or if you have an IT department, perhaps they could help explain the steps.
Again I appreciate your help and feedback.

This may already be resolved, if not… on the server, install Remote Desktop Services (Session host is all that is required), Create Handheld users and in each handheld user’s login account properties (Environment tab), specify the path to auto-start Epicor with the -HH suffix. This ensures that when a handheld user logs in (via RDS), the handheld device immediately launches Epicor in handheld mode.

2 Likes

Chris,
We have the demo menu and I’ve looked at it, however, in going through the various menus I am not seeing “Issue Material” or “Issue Miscellaneous”. Those are the only 2 items we want available at this point.
Can you tell me how these menus are customized?
Is it similar to MES customization?
I apologize, but I am feeling a little clueless as this point.
I would love to visit a company utilizing the Motorola MC9090 scanner and see exactly how they are programming it and setting up the interface.
Thanks
Carol

I’ll have to get back to you as I’m at the Epicor Insights convention but I would suggest you double check your users selected roles (both the user and emp settings). For testing, I’d enable everything so you can see and test all the functions

Oooh lucky you … I so wanted to get to Insights also this year. I went last year and found it to be very beneficial, however, this year it just wasn’t working out. We will be moving closer to upgrading to E10 next year so it will be a definite attend!.
Learn lots and have fun!

Carol

Andrew, Can you send me a screenshot of where you are specifying the path to auto-start Epicor with the -HH suffix?
We have our handheld setup on a terminal server which hosts 40 other MES stations as well as the handheld device.
There is one handheld user set up “TSC006” … where do I input this path?
Thank you for your help!
Carol

Active Directory - Users and Computers…
The specified config file contains the automatic logon information.

Very nice Andrew, thank you

Wonderful Andrew;… thank you so much. We will give it a try.
I’ll let you know if we are successful.

Glad to be able to contribute something - I’ve certainly gleaned a lot from this forum!

1 Like