Multiple Companies that are using different ERP systems

Wondering if/how any others might have already handled situations like this?
E10 sites with multiple “sister” companies which are using different ERP systems?

I’m stuck right now, not sure where to look next.
I have a general familiarity with Multi-Company but… only where all entities involved were running Epicor ERP.

In this case…
An E10 multi-company (2) site has recently been acquired by a parent corporation.
That parent corporation and it’s existing child companies are all using a “non-Epicor” ERP system.

There will be customer/supplier transactions between the E10 companies and the non-Epicor companies.
The E10 companies need to some how capture receivables and payables separately, so they can be eliminated during the corporate consolidation each month.

Thanks in advance…

P.S.
And to make things more interesting, it’s sounding like the parent corporation will require the newly acquired E10 site to migrate to their ERP system eventually.

Our small company(single company withe 1 site - on V8 at the time) was acquired by another company that used their own home brewed “ERP” system. The parent company owned MANY other companies (eventual siblings of ours). But ours was the only manufacturing company, and the parent company’s “ERP” had no manufacturing components.

So we kept V8. Later we switched to E10 and added multi-site(our parent also acquired on of our competitors). We setup the other sibling (our former competitor) as a new site (they had practically no manufacturing).

The parent company acquires new companies pretty regularly. So they made tools for uploading info into their home-brewed system. We just created a bunch of reports to export things like AR, AP, and GL. Actual inventory was never in the parents system. We dont actually do payables or cash receipts. The parent company takes care of that. So our system is kind of incomplete, as no AR or AP invoice is ever paid.

AR - we create and issue invoice to the customers (remit to info is the parent companies address). Then we export AR info (including mapping info to the parents GL acct #'s) to be uploaded to the parent co’s system.

AP - we enter supplier invoices. Like AR, we export each days AP info for uploading. We dont do payments. Theyre made by the parent co, based on the AP invoices file we upload daily.

GL - we close our month in E10, then upload to the parent co. I think we have more granularity in our books than the parent does. The parent has just one or two accts for COGS, we probably have 20+ (based on product groups).

Thanks for the explanation, a few questions just to make sure I understand…
You only have two “children” companies are set up in Epicor?
no company/customer/supplier records set up in E10 for the parent/other children?
and use custom tools to export any child records as defined by the parent?

The situation here (as I understand so far), is there will be customer/supplier relationships between at least one E10 child and three of the “non-E10” children.
So that E10 site will be processing the Orders and Paymentsin thier ERP system. Accounting wants to assign specific/different accounts to transaction with those “non-Epicor” children.
Ultimately will be breaking everything out in their finanancial reports.

Before I did too much, I wanted to be sure that E10 Inter-Company can even be used with “non-Epicor” parent/children? (As I’ve only seen examples where everyone is on Epicor).
Reason, the accounting dept has already started testing some Inter-Company setup, which had been failing to this point… how I got involved.

Correct … with some clarifications.

The other sibling (“CPM” - our prior competitor) was merged with our company. So our E10 is still just one company. We set up “CPM” as as sites in our one company. They’re really just warehouse for storing purchased parts, and occasionally storing mfg’d parts made at our original site. This is done for staging shipments. Instead of shipping Mfg’d parts from our site, hoping they meet up with purchased prats from the other sites, we ship finished mfg’d parts to one of their warehouses, to join up with other parts.

The other siblings are nearly all services providers, so no need to consolidate part numbers, purchasing etc… Other than reporting to the parent, and uploading financial data, we don’t interact with the parent company much. And almost no interactions with other siblings (although the customer base is the same).

When transitioning from V8 to E10 (we did an export of select records from V8, then seeded E10 with those, instead of a true upgrade), we planned on redoing the GL structure to mirror the parent company’s. But that never got done, so we just kept the same GL structure from V8 (the one we had prior to being acquired). I did add UD fields to the GL Acct tables, to allow entering our parent companies “matching” GL acct. This makes the export from Our GL create the records for upload with the parent company’s GL Accts specified.

Basically two custom reports. One to export Our AR Invoices, and one for AP Invoices. The structure of the upload file is a real pain and not very BAQ/SSRS friendly. It’s a CSV file, but with dynamic rows. There’s:

• A Header row with fields like the date, number of invoices, total of all invoices etc…
  • Invoice rows (really invoice header info) - Inv#, date, total, line count, customer#, etc…
  • Detail rows (invoice details) - Detail type (they have two differnt sub types), GL acct, amount,

And a similar thing for AP Invoices.

I’m not very familiar with multi-company, but it sounds like what you’ll need. That and consolidated purchasing. I also believe E10 has tools and utilities for interfacing with “external companies”.

I’d send a lot of time thinking about where the fences between the external companies are drawn. Like:

• If you do purchasing, do receipts need to be entered in E10? Or will you have the external company generate files that you can use for importing into E10 (via DMT, Service connect, etc…)?
  • Who tracks the value of the external companies inventory? Done in E10 via the normal means (Reciepts, Issues, Qty Adj’s, Cost Adjs, etc…), or the external company maintains there own. How would the external company know what to value a receipt at if the purchasing was done in E10?

And those two are just off the top of my head.