MTD - Company configuration - Redirect URL

HELP!
Our MTD is not working and Epicor help are not knowledgeable.

What is an example of a working ‘Redirect URL’ please?
Do you keep the default of http://localhost:3660 (for which the HMRC site says ‘error: cannot reach site’ for us) or do youadapt it to enter your server name?

What version are you on ?

in sandbox mode, an access token is successfully generated, but the hmrc site rejects our redirect url

Warning-%20Access%20Token%20Received%20Successfully

in live (non sandbox mode), after entering our genuine hmrc id and password, we get this:

OAuth%20error

We’re in the same boat and I can’t find out until tomorrow whether we’ve managed to fix the problem. If we have, and nobody else has chimed in in the meantime, I will let you know. Either way I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread myself.

Have you logged a call with Epicor? ours is CS0001626286, if that’s any help to your case

We have, and ours is CS0001617797. Thanks.

Epicor just sent me this and said it’s a working example

That’s interesting even though I can’t see how it actually helps. It’s literally exactly the same as we have except that presumably the Client Secret and Server Token would be different if only we could tell, and those are the bits that are key to get access.

1. I note that the Client ID must be common to all Epicor systems, so that cuts down the possible problems to two out of three.
  2. This particular example has Sandbox Mode enabled, so it WOULD be working, because that’s what we’ve found too.
  3. I wonder if the “localhost” problem for redirect disappears if you run this on the client on the actual server where Epicor is running, but now I know Sandbox mode is OK I don’t have reason to test that theory.

It’s annoying that Sandbox Mode and Live behave differently, because it means time is so short when you find out there’s a problem.

One additional note - we do have back-up software for if we can’t get this fixed, although it’s clunky and painful by comparison. I assume you do have alternative routes to Epicor just in case?

We have got Avalara but I can’t see that it has a sandbox setting

Our Finance head has successfully used the Avalara software already, so he’s comfortable falling back on that for a limited time and there’s no need for any further testing as far as we’re concerned.

But we also found Epicor’s Sandbox Mode worked even though the redirect failed. Did you get that far? I was assuming you had found the same. For us, it’s just that Live hasn’t (so far) worked.

yes, although the HMRC site rejected the http://localhost:3660 URL, we were able to build a report.
we haven’t tested submitting it to HMRC in sandbox mode yet

Update -

Despite being able to submit a report in Sandbox Mode, we still get the same OAuth “access denied” message when trying to do the same for real.

So we’ve given up for this quarter and done it the fallback way. How we’re supposed to get it working, I have no idea.

Epicor have no idea for us either!

Thanks, we have successfully submitted via Avalara MTD Filer.

Thanks for offering help.

I have a call scheduled with the developers (in Russia apparently) tomorrow, so I’ll report back what they say.

Quick question, when did you install your CSF file, is it the most current? We just got our UK CSF working. We had a similar issue, and when I went to Epicor, they told me I had to upgrade my 10.2.300.11 to 10.2.300.14 or greater, so I took it to 10.2.300.21. No joy.
I had installed the 10.2.300.11 CSF file back in March, and Sandbox was working well. When we went to get this going for real in July, we had issues. When I first looked at the download section, they still had 10.2.300.11 listed, but later I noticed it’s date was now in May. Why it wasn’t renamed .12 or something I don’t know. I had singularly replaced a .dll file mentioned in the troubleshooting guide, but went on to just install the entire slightly newer 10.2.300.11 CSF release. Keep in mind that CSF has to be installed on the App Server, in case you use an RDS server like we do. It cannot be installed from a client invoked from the RDS page (at least it did not recognize it for me). Also, for our RDS server, our network guys had opened Internet pipes based off the HMRC.gov.uk address, but this did not seem to be enough for the real tax site, so they opened the RDS site more, but I don’t know the particulars. We will be tightening those up here soon.
So we tweaked our Internet pipes to the .uk site, updated to 10.2.300.21, and I had to reinstall 10.2.300.11 CSF, and we were able to get things going. One last thing to also remember, in Company Config remove any leading characters in the Tax ID field. So if it is GB-##### or GB###, EU-### or EU###, or any such thing, it needs to be just the number. That was the last hurtle to the submission accepted and received.
I hope this helps.

Thanks David, we are on 10.2.300.17

I’m curious to know, is your redirect Url simply http://localhost:3660 for both sandbox and live? We got differing responses from Epicor on whether we needed to replace ‘localhost’ with our server name, and neither worked, possibly due to our firewall settings - but by this point due to our VAT submission deadline pressing upon us, we had given up on CSF and gone with the Avalara MTD Filer in Excel.

We reinstalled everything CSF related again this month (Aug 2019) from EpicWeb downloads so I would think it was the most current version available, but we were sent a single replacement .dll to add to the server’s client folder after reporting back with specific errors we were getting. We no longer got a specific error after installing the new dll file, but didn’t get much further either.

We checked our Tax ID fields and didn’t have anything, just numbers but it’s a gotcha that seems to catch a number of people out by the look of it.

Karen,

Our Redirect URLs are the same for both the Sandbox and live; we never messed with those settings to get things to work. It was more using the provided Base URLs to tweak our firewall and Internet pipes that was needed to allow two way communication.

I have to admit Epicor’s instructions need a bit more thoroughness. When you are sitting at a blank web page, and the token received window is hidden, it is a bit frustrating to figure out what is failing (when there was actually no failure). I do believe a newer walk-thru’s better explain this.

The June 11th updated MTD guide was more helpful with resolving errors, in case you have not seen it. When getting an error, the actual end of the URL address gives an indication as to what solution to look for in the newer guide. That is where I found my .dll’s were older, tried to replace the one, and then just went with reinstalling CSF altogether.

It does work. It just takes some doing. Let me know if there are any questions, and I will try my best to get answers for you.

David