Mouse wheel scrolling

Anyone else have issues with using the mouse wheel to scroll? And not just in the Epicor client program, but rather all windows programs. While scrolling down, every know and then the page or frame jumps up a little, like one of the “scroll clicks” was in the opposite direction.

And don’t forget, I’m both old and a founding member of “Who Moved My Cheese”, so switching to a touch screen or touch pad is out of the question. If I want to go all high tech, I’ll get one of them new wireless mouses. But for now, I’ll keep my wired mouse.

1 Like

I’ve had that happen when you get a bunch of dust or debris inside the mouse wheel contraption.

1 Like

When mice used to actually have a ball, and the two optical encoders, I’d regularly open those up and clean the ball and encoders real well. Now with an optical mouse, it doesn’t open at all. :frowning:

I think I still have one of those and I bet the compartment that holds the ball STILL has more dust than the mouse that’s been sitting idle for 15 years. LOL

I hate the ones where it doesn’t click at all, it’s just a smooth scroll. I wanted to scroll down EXACTLY three rows in Excel, thank you very much.

1 Like

love my wired mouse !

wheel scroll issues. IDK? maybe time for a new one - with ps2 connector :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FWIW - I found a utility mousinfo.exe that provides a diagnostic window of info coming from your mouse. It was in C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint

While rolling the wheel down(pul it towards me), the Last Z value is typically -120. But every now and then it shows +120 (it doesn’t actually show the positive sign).

Using the Scrolling Monitor tab, and steadily scrolling down I see that some of the movement registers as a +120. This is what must be causing the jumping, as the O/S thinks I’ve scrolled up for a scrolling click or two.

FIXED!!!

Opened open the mouse (required pulling the back teflon pad up, and removing a screw), and blowing the encoder with some compressed air.

Now I get nice scrolling with no sudden reversing!

2 Likes

Talk about nerd of the year! That is some serious commitment, Calvin!

I love it.

And, I am just in awe that there is a mouse diagnostic utility. Jaw on floor.

2 Likes

I think I would have just bashed it on the table a few times.

1 Like

My time is more valuable then what it took to fix that mouse. But I hate to throw things away that can be repaired. One less mouse in the landfills.

my rule of thumb
“be firm with your hardware” ;0)

wow.