Method material numbers - 1, 2, 3 or 10, 20, 30?

We are in early implementation/development phase. In Epicor the material sequence numbers are 10, 20, 30 and so on as you all are probably aware. In our current system (and all of our drawings) our BOM item numbers are 1, 2, 3 and so on (incremented by one). Question is, can Epicor use the 1, 2, 3 format? Or must we convert all of our existing BOM item numbers into 10, 20, 30 during the DMT import process? How do others handle this?

thanks

The DMT is SUPPOSED to (and usually does) honor your Operation and Material sequence numbers. Every now and then, however, I’ll find a job where they’ve been renumbered.

As a general rule of thumb, make sure you enter them in increasing sequence… go straight up from 1 to 2, then 3, then 4… don’t skip around. Sort your spreadsheet by JobNum/AssemblySeq/MtlSeq and you’ll have a better chance of success.

1 Like

I’ll have to say that I’ve rarely seen the MtlSeq I provided via DMT be honored. It’s always taken the lines I’ve provided and remembered them 10, 20, 30, etc…

Now that was a few versions ago (circa Jan 2017) and may have changed.

1 Like

I guess we will have to try it and see what it does. Not sure how we will go forward though using 10, 20, 30 in Epicor and all of our drawings being 1, 2, 3. :thinking:

The field “find number” is the field that is designed to hold your drawing numbers.

2 Likes

You’re not locked into 10, 20, 30, … it’s just the default. And I believe you can even resequnce them, selecting the gap/spacing. Order by current seq or FindNo.

Where’s that option?

Oh jeez - that’s great. Thanks!

1 Like

If you get those in there, then re sequence by find number, your users will figure out pretty quick that you just drop the last 0. (It’s easier than fighting the system)

1 Like

OK that worked. :grinning:

I might have imagined it. :disappointed_relieved:

I’ve only resequened once or twice, and thought I recall seeing it, and since we go every 10, I just left that imaginary field at its default. :wink:

1 Like

@jimship - did it just use your FindNum for the order? Or did it use them as the new Seq too?

It used the Find numbers to put them in order, then used 10, 20, 30, which is probably OK.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Musings about Developers Numbering Schemes

It looks like you already have the answer… the FIND number is what you should use to correlate the material to a drawing. Anything else can be problematic… for example, lets say you have materials 1, 2, and 3… and later, engineering decides to change material 2 to a PHANTOM Part that has 2 components. Note that Phantoms “Explode” into the job…
Example:
Mtl PN Find#
1 partA 1
2 partB 2
3 partC 3

Part B becomes a PHANTOM assembly made of:
1 PartD 4
2 PartE 5

SO… long story short, you would stlll have materials 1, 2, & 3 in the engineering workbench, but after you “Get Details” into a job, you would have materials 1, 10, 20, 30… the job would look like:

mtl, PN Find #
1 PartA 1
20 PartD 4
30 PartE 5
40 PartC 3
Note that part B no longer shows… this is because it was a phantom. also note that partC has moved down in the list. This is because phantoms explode where they were put. But in ALL cases, the find number does not change

1 Like

But if the drawing shows item 2 as a single part, it would be nice if the expanded phantom’s materials ended up as:

mtl, PN    Find #
1    PartA   1
20   PartD   2.1
30   PartE   2.2
40   PartC   3

I thought about setting my example that way, except find numbers do not (and should not?) inherit their parent’s information… you set the find number in the BOM of the phantom. you could load 2.1 and 2.2 into the phantom’s structure. BUT… if the next BOM you build has that phantom part as the 3rd find number, it would be wrong.

1 Like

It would be cool if it at least inherited the phantoms component’s FindNum as a suffix to the FindNum of the phantom.

1 Like