Low down on printing

Are there any good docs on the various uses of printing?

I’m not talking about automated reports, or emailing. But the various types of physical printer connections. such as:

1. Printers connected to the workstation running the client program (local client, local printer)
  2. Network Printers that the client workstation running the client program uses via windows (local client, networked printer)
  3. Printers connected to the workstation running the client program via Terminal services (remote client, local printer)
  4. Network Printers that the client program running via TS (remote client, networked printer)
  5. “E10 System Printer” - Printers setup in E10

We’ve never setup printers in E10 - as we have no need to send printouts to anywhere but the printer by the users workstation, and occasionally a shared network printer (like our copier that can do 2 sided, 3-hole punch, color, etc…)

But we still have problems trying to print “directly”. We usually preview the output, then print from the PDF viewer. If we try to print directly to a local or network printer (w/o a preview), the E10 print dialog takes several minutes to appear. I’ve been told this is because E10 is searching for available printers, and has to “time out” when a printer is “found” but is offline (like if you had a printer setup on your PC, and then got a new one, but left the old one setup)

Are there best practices for using local printers? What about a “local” printer when using TS?

I am 97% of the way through a post on best practices on number 1 and/or 2, touches on 3, and dives into 5.

I’ll respond to this thread as soon as I have a few minutes to finish it.

5 Likes

sorry it took me so long. I just kept adding more info and I had to just post it otherwise I could keep on going.

3 Likes