Integrate source control into all Epicor Customizations

Expand Solution Manager to work with Source Control Systems. This would allow users to see what was changed from the vanilla code as well as help with upgrades being able to merge changes into new releases faster. A popular request is knowing what solutions have been installed into a system. With the addition of Kinetic, there will need to be a way to track web-based UI customizations too. This also might give users the ability to use automated tools for installation giving some audit control over Super-Users installing things “on-the-fly” without any review.

3 Likes

With the advent of Github Actions, I see a clearer path for users to save their customizations/configurators/electronic interfaces/etc. to github and have a process install them into a particular environment.

This would be a huge improvement for the Epicor Cloud Team since they could automate the install.

It would also improve SOX compliance since you could take away Security Manager from your devs and improve the review process for changes.

6 Likes

Just adding another branch to this topic.

I didn’t realize that there was an open source C# library for adding Git capabilities to your .Net programs.

This means the dll could be included (along with other OS libraries) in standard build and then either Epicor or users could easily add this capability. Hmm. :thinking:

Mark W.

3 Likes

I have always longed for a way to encapsulate all the pieces required for a specific customization AND multiple versions of those pieces… one problem with the objects that we have is that they are so varied…
Consider a new customization that i am adding right now to control “Quoted Lead Time” on parts… we have New UD fields, new User Codes associated to those UD Fields, new custom UI referencing those UDFields and User codes, new BAQ that uses those UD Fields. New Quicksearch that uses the BAQ, New Dashboard, new Updatable dashboard that has uBAQ BPMs, New BPMs to enforce new business logic, new BPMs to calculate lead time… and finally, new Menu options and Security to expose the new UI and new dashboards.
All of this is being developed in a “test” environment, but needs to be moved into Live/production all at once. The Solution workbench will do this, but sometimes you just forget one of the pieces when moving the customizations… (Oh sometimes I wish I could go back to the old days where I could move the one modifeid “Sales Order Entry” program to live).

2 Likes

You are so right @timshuwy. Solution Workbench is a nice tool but makes source control difficult.

What if the Solution Workbench could pull from a source code repository? That way you can could do a pull for each item in the version you want right into the workbench. Anyway, it still would be nice to easily revert changes and to compare code to new releases. Hmm :thinking:

1 Like

This would be wonderful!