Image maintenance anyone know where the images are stored?

I just noticed with our new version (10.2.300 ) in the Part maintenance form, that there is a new Attribute tab with an Image we can attach to the part.

Does anyone know how/where the images are stored? I looked at the Image table, and could not find it there…

As well could I create a dashboard showing the image thumbnails in a row ? I could I design the BAQ ?

Thanks

Pierre

You have to set them up in Company Config

Then use System Setup -> System Maint. -> Image Maintenance to upload the image.

So it builds a repository of images, and a catlog of the based on the Category and Sub-Category. When you select an image (like in Part Maint), you’re just telling that part what item from the catalog to reference.

Edit:

The “File…” button on Part Maint is very misleading. you’re not selecting a file, but rather an image from the catalog of images uploaded in Image Maint.

1 Like

tks for the reply…but this is to setup default category per application…

for instance: Employee maintenance would probably have a Employee category…Part would be different…
It is not indicating nothing else…How I understood it is : categorizing the images would make the image be saved in the folders named with the catgegories…

I did not setup the default categories… and was able to add a dummy file image to my part without any category selected…
You mention about a catalog of images… where is that catalog ?

EDIT: Got what you are saying about the catalog… when we import the image into Epicor… and then we assign this image to the part or employee etc…

So where is this catalog then? DB? or file?
Pierre

I was using the term “catalog” figuratively.

It’s really the Image table in the DB. which includes the Category and Sub-Cat for each image.

The Categories are just a way to help manage the picts.

I was able to upload a pict, with the Category left blank.

Then in Part Maint, clear the category field and all iamges uploaded show up.

EDIT

I’m not sure, but I think the images (actual image data) are stored in the DB, and not as individual files in a folder on the server.

Is there a certain module that’s needed to have access to this, or is it not available in the cloud environments? Mine is grayed out on Pilot.

@Hogardy - Sorry, I misread your original post.

I’m pretty certain that the images are stored in the DB, like how RDL “files” are stored. The actual data that makes up the image is probably in a “chunk”, in a table.

I did a search of our App server for files and folders with “image” in the name, but only found the DLL’s for the Image Maintenance programs. Nothing found for “img”.

Images uploaded in Image Maintenance are stored in the Erp.Image table. The actual data is then stored in the Ice.FileStore table as a chunk. There’s a relationship between Erp.Image.ImageFileName (or Erp.Image.ImageFileThumbnail) -> Ice.FileStore.FileName

I tried to use this chunk data in an Employee badge report before, but wasn’t able to get the encoding to work nicely with SSRS, so I don’t know how easy it would be to embed in a dashboard.

4 Likes

Thanks Tyler,

At least now I know where the info is located… :wink: Two rows exist one ofr the image, the other for the thumbnail image.
The idea would be to be able to show the thumbnail image into the dashboard or SSRS report!
A bit like the list when we search for an image… the image shows in the search table.

If anyone have tried that?

Pierre

Hey Matt,

Did you try New…

I’m SaaS too (Public Cloud DT) and it opens up for me.

Mark W.

1 Like

Nice! I hadn’t thought of that. Now to find some documentation on proper use of this! Thanks Mark!

Matt - did you find any material on this subject

I have a couple questions.

One does anyone know of a good way to mass import images into the image table rather than uploading one image at time using image maintenance? I do not see the option in DMT. I only see the option in DMT under the part to import the file name.

Second, does anyone see any issues, other than simply size, with storing the images in the database? Seems like this would not be a good use of SQL and I was just wondering if this could have any performance issues?

To your first question, you can go into Image Maintenance and then Actions > Import Images. You’ll have the option to import multiple images or a whole directory.

Thanks, I was looking everywhere except Actions.

But maybe look before into the Image descriptions maintenance if you need to categorize your images …which I recommend you.

Pierre

1 Like