Epicor 10 PreHeater success ? Documentation?

Hi,

We have a lot of users that are complaining that E10 is taking too long to open first time in the morning. I was wondering if anyone had success using the PreHeater and if there is any documentation available out there on how to use it?

Thanks,

What is the Start Mode of your application pool?

We are currently setup at AlwaysRunning.

A couple of concerns /. questions…

slow first thing in morning
Do you recycle your app pool every night?
E10 does a ton of caching that I had written about and can again discuss. That one top of what is done by .NET JIT, Entity Framework and WCF can be annoying to users obviously. Recycling the app pool is what will cause all that to have to reoccur again and introduce the slowness while it gets itself going.
Recycling an app pool is perfectly fine to do, it just does that setup again afterwards so should be factored into your user experience handling which it sounds like you are attempting with the PreHeater.

FYI - The PreHeater is an internal utility that is … well not quite ready for prime time so not released. I am not sure how you got your hands on it - borrowing from a Sales Engineer or or accident of our build to drop it in a release does not matter.

It you want to do an equivalent, a much easier way is just using CUrl scripts against relevant APIs in a batch file.

1 Like

What we are trying to do is find a way to cache forms where we have a lot of customization like ‘Case Entry’.

Makes perfect sense. Are you running the REST endpoints? It’s a pretty easy command line in a bat file to call it after an app pool recycle. This will get .net to JIT everything and cache up what you want to have preheated

I would still look at when and why your pool is recycling. There are usually throttles on app pools that cause it to recycle. If you have a memory leak for example, it may be recycling when you don’t want it to recycle.

Turning on logging as to why it is recycling is a good idea too

The PreHeater is legendary. It was explained to me at my first implementation, which was 9.05.702a, that there was a sales application that just quickly opens and closes every UI. Because sales calls are made with a freshly-restored cutover snapshot, everything the outside salesperson does would appear to take a very long time. Which would not make for successful sales calls at all. The prospective customer wants to see a snappy system! So our sales guy told us to just contact Support and ask for it. That sounded simple enough. But we couldn’t find anyone to acknowledge what we were talking about, and couldn’t find it on Epic Web either. So I asked at Insights. Again, no one would refer to it by name, but some people would at least acknowledge its existence. But again, it’s internal to Epicor and can’t be released to a customer.

So after every cutover, just go to whatever UI is used most often by the person most likely to complain about wasted time in a CRP or for that matter, live use, and open and close those UIs.

I know this is a very old topic, but would this apply to the Kinetic apps for E11 as well? I’m not sure what would be loaded server side for Kinetic compared to the (old) classic/modern UI forms.