Duplicating orders with On the Fly Parts

Is there a way when duplicating an order that has an “On the Fly Part” to retain the link to the quote for that “On the Fly Part” from the original order? Right now a lot of our sales reps use the duplicate order tool under actions and I have notice that when this is used on an order that has an “On the Fly Part” that part doesn’t retain the link to the quote that has the MOM for it.

According to the System Help, the “Quote/Line” fields on the Order Lines tab are updated by the “Get Opportunity/Quote” process (or, although unstated, also by the Create Order process from within Quote Entry). The fields are not user-updateable from within Order Entry. If you’re using the CRM module I’d wager you would not be allowed to “win” a quote more than once, but you could try seeing if a BPM could capture the information (Method Directive on SalesOrder.CopyOrder) and bring it to the new order. Good luck!

I believe it clones the MOM when you duplicate but does not link it. It sounds like you want changes to the MOM one quote to affect many. I don’t think this is a workflow Epicor supports - you would have to make actual parts.

Even if you pull in the details using Get Details it is only copying, not linking.

@Ernie thanks I think that is what I am going to have to do. As for creating a second order from the same quote you can do this and you would do it the same way you converted it the first time. Even though you have already “WON” the quote you can still convert it multiple times. Only reason I know this is because I was playing around with it in our test environment and tried it just to speed up the process and it works you don’t even have to re open the quote. All you have to do is go to: Actions > Quote > Create Sales Order

@Evan_Purdy no it does not clone the MOM that would be great if it did then i wouldn’t need to try and link it to the quote. The way Epicor does “On the Fly Parts” is you create the method in the Quote then convert the Quote to an Order the method never gets copied to the order it is only linked to the quote. So when the Job is created it is created based off the method on the quote. I have tested this out and proven it to be fact that even know the quote got converted to an order I still can go to the quote and change the MOM and as long as the Job has not been created yet the Job will pull all the changes I make to the quote even after that quote got converted to an order.

Yes, you can convert it to an order, but you’re not “winning” the quote again, which is why it’s not bringing the link to the quote forward. If your entire goal here is to use the MOM, why not create the part as an actual part number and use Engineering workbench to copy the MOM from the quote to the part number?

Oh, sorry, it sounds like they are duplicating the order and not duplicating the quote. Yes, in that case your are right, no methods will be copied.

If the MOM is complicated and you want to re-use it lots, just make a part and copy the methods off the quote into the part with Get Details on the part.

@Evan_Purdy @Ernie yall both said pretty much the same thing lol. No the problem is we do some many custom parts that customers only order once or twice and don’t order that part anymore that its not worth creating a part in part master for. If it is a part that the customer will order more than twice than we do convert it to an actual part in part master. With this said, if a customer is ordering the same thing a second time it is easier to just copy a sales order then it would be to create a new one and pulling the line from quote. if they can just copy it then all the shipping info, pricing, and part info are copied and doesn’t have to get reentered. this does make a difference when you are looking at an order with 52 line items and all of them are custom parts.

Do the parts have commonality between them, same basic construction but the materials/choices are different? If so you might consider using the product configurator. When an order that has a product configurator on it is copied the new order has an exact copy of the configurator values and will build the part the same way as on the original order. If original order came from a quote, the initial order will get a copy of the quote configurator values and then all subsequent orders will get the copy from the order. One advantage is you can reconfigure and tweak the part on the new order if desired.

2 Likes

@Jkinneman That might be a possibility down the road but right now we do not have the license for the configurator package and I don’t see us actually purchasing it right now. I like that idea of using the configurator though.

STORY TIME: Where I USED to work, we made lots of different parts… with very few exceptions, every customer part ordered was unique. Why? because we made Miniature transformers for Medical/Millitary/Aerospace use, and typically, there is only one company making that brand of pacemaker with its own design… Only one Cassini Space Probe was launched… unique on a different level!
That said, we still created a new part number, and designed every part Method. Why? Consistancy! Engineering still went through Revision control. We still designed it, prototyped it, and then built it. Sometimes those “one time builds” when through multiple deliveries lasting months (and years). We actually found that even though we COULD do everything Make Direct, that having a make direct tie to an order caused other challenges. In our case, we had fairly high scrap rates. In anticipation of that, we would overbuild so as to not miss deliveries… the extra parts? They went to STOCK. We found that if they were Make Direct, that MRP never observed the stock qty. BUT, if we pushed everything through stock, any leftovers were considered for the next shipment, and by the end of the sales order, we didn’t have a buildup of parts.
IF the customer ever did come back and order more parts (yup… they sometimes did that), we didn’t have to do a bunch of research. We had all our engineering design work done. Engineering would still review the design to make sure that there was nothing needing updating (because of our new procedures, customer’s revisions, etc), and then release it for manufacturing.
Moral to the story? One size does not fit all… just because you consider yourselves “Make to order” does not mean that the part is an MTO (non-stock) part. it still might be a Stock part with a min/max/safety of zero, which will be “made on demand” for future orders.

1 Like

@jbowen07 If you are not going to create an actual part with the MOM in the engineering workbench, you could have sales duplicate the original quote and then create the sales order. You end up having a quote for every order, but the MOM will be linked.

1 Like