Direct SQL entry and editing in BAQ Designer

Specific training module is SSRS - probably predates the SAAS E10 version or implications not fully known.

One of the MAJOR changes since early E10.0 and E9 is the addition of a couple of BPM widgets - Fill By Table Query for example eliminates a use case where direct SQL was ‘required’ to solve a problem. Some of the corresponding documentation would not age well when using those recommendations in modern versions of E10.

Also - PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! - Abuse the email feedback link. It funnels straight into the docs work item queue. They love feedback!!

5 Likes

Thanks Bart! Yes - always feel free to send feedback to us! We want to hear from you!

3 Likes

We are on version 10.0.7.4 - probably best if someone on the current version tries the SSRS course to see if it has since been updated.

I’ve already dropped a few of these on Staci this year and she replies to each and every one of them. Help file, Tech Reference, whatever, they are eager to take care of it.

Mark W.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Allow bringing in BAQs into other BAQs as SubQueries

Just an aside - No shared SQL in Epicor Private Cloud/Single Tenant/formerly known as EMS. Each customer has dedicated SQL server(s).

4 Likes

A.K.A. Dedicated Tenancy.

So you have SAAS with shared SQL servers and shared web farms, single tenant with separate DB’s and app servers. Is Dedicated Tenancy still a thing with separate DB’s but shared web farms?

DT does not share a database either. Only MT has the scourge of the shared DB as far as I know…

There was talk at Insights that MT would be moving “closer” to DT but I’m not sure what that means. New users are quoted “Public Cloud” for DT. There’s a Single Tenant offering as well but I’m not sure MT is actively being sold anymore.

From my understanding you had

Multi Tenant Dedicated Tenant Single Tenant
DB Shared Separate Separate
App Server Shared Shared Separate

Pretty close there @John_Mitchell. Obviously the Cloud is evolving for the industry and us so this thread might not age well. Generalities used to contrast the systems in slightly more detail than marketing materials for the geeks up here. Assume more is going on but this is good enough for conversation amongst us.

The three:

ST - pretty much you hire us to do anything for a data center. I don’t know the specifics but I think if the customer wanted, the EMS might cook breakfast for you as well. You get full control of everything

MT - Shared everything. The E10 app is used to isolate tenants from each other. That’s why you see limits placed on things like no C# in server widgets and limits around UD fields - least common denominator customization for a discounted price. For plenty of customers, this is all they need (Still the most popular offering btw even with the limitations).

DT - New kid on the block and fastest growing. Isolated DBs on a shared DB Server. IIS Apps are also isolated to each Tenant with separate App Pools per tenant. Multiple Tenant are on the same app server but in separate Application in IIS. Each tenant has a separate Windows Identity stamped on the App Pool and granted access to SQL via that identity (Windows Auth access to their DB and their slice of the file system). So the Windows OS is used to provide isolation between tenancies. SaaS Ops can balance the hardware and moves tenancies around as needed to ensure performance. More customization abilities since the OS is keeping the different tenancies isolated at a process level. We are still trying to get features to market to give this more of an on promise feel and is under active development SAFE HARBOR and all that

2 Likes

I want to copy my BAQ SQL code to github so that it can be easily shared, viewed, archived, managed, etc. But then I don’t have a way to go in reverse and copy the SQL code back into a new BAQ. So I just want an easy way to go in reverse. Not trying to write my own SQL code over here, just an easy way to move back and forth. Or if the exported BAQ was editable in a basic editor like Notepad++ or Sublime, that would be just as good.

I know this was a while back, but we now can see the Execution Plan and open it with SQL Management Studio or ApexSQL. With tiny tweaks (like a simple filter that doesn’t filter anything) I took a query from timing out to 0.5 seconds. Pretty awesome.

1 Like

I was mostly pointing out the friction to bring it into another program to do so. While that works perfectly fine, and is super helpful, it seems a little odd that a reader for that can’t be built right in.

Agreed. I think is just XML. Even a highlighting of the execution costs would be huge.

2 Likes