Dashboards to MES Menu

Can a custom dashboard be added to an MES screen? I have my customization complete on the MES screen and it is referencing the dashboard correctly, but I am receiving the following error:
Menu ID MES-XXXXXX is not valid for the current user.

We are trying to allow MES users to view a dashboard to help with production without having to have Client and MES running at the same time to access the dashboard. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

We are currently in 10.0.700.4, but upgrading to 10.2.300.7 next week.

Thanks,
Matt

certain things are limited to for licensing. I’m not sure what all of them are (job entry is one them), or how they manage the licenses, but there are certain things that are not allowed on MES. Considering what you are trying to do requires a full client, I would imagine it’s something they do not allow access to with an MES license.

2 Likes

I’ve done this many times.

In your menu maintenance, did you add it as a Dashboard - Assembly? It should not be a RunTime. I add a new button and then use the click method of that button:
ProcessCaller.LaunchForm(oTrans, “MES-XXX”);

1 Like

Run time or assembly doesn’t matter in the sense of licensing. The old “the can get to other dashboards” problem has been fixed a long time ago. You’re error is related to something else.

1 Like

I added it has Non Menu Item.
I followed the steps from this link:

The dashboard itself is set as Dashboard-Assembly

You’ll probably have to explain a little more what you are trying to do. Simply adding a dashboard to MES is perfectly do-able. I have many of them deployed. There is something in the details of that specific dashboard that is giving you licensing problems. Without explaining any of that, there’s not much else any of us can help you with.

1 Like

Here are some screenshots and code of what I have setup. Basically just adding a button to MES screen that will call the dashboard.

Image1: http://tinypic.com/r/9lcp5g/9
Image2: http://tinypic.com/r/3482i6v/9

Script Editor Code:

// **************************************************
// Custom code for MESMenu
// Created: 2/6/2019 2:19:45 PM
// **************************************************
using System;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using Ice.Lib.Customization;
using Ice.Lib.ExtendedProps;
using Ice.Lib.Framework;
using Ice.Lib.Searches;
using Ice.UI.FormFunctions;

public class Script
{
	// ** Wizard Insert Location - Do Not Remove 'Begin/End Wizard Added Module Level Variables' Comments! **
	// Begin Wizard Added Module Level Variables **

// End Wizard Added Module Level Variables **

// Add Custom Module Level Variables Here **
EpiButton btnDash;
	public void InitializeCustomCode()
	{
		// ** Wizard Insert Location - Do not delete 'Begin/End Wizard Added Variable Initialization' lines **
		// Begin Wizard Added Variable Initialization
btnDash = (EpiButton)csm.GetNativeControlReference("fe187107-b719-4a3d-96a8-5f8505ea65ae");
		// End Wizard Added Variable Initialization

// Begin Wizard Added Custom Method Calls

// End Wizard Added Custom Method Calls
this.btnDash.Click += new System.EventHandler(this.btnDash_Click);
	}

public void DestroyCustomCode()
	{
		// ** Wizard Insert Location - Do not delete 'Begin/End Wizard Added Object Disposal' lines **
		// Begin Wizard Added Object Disposal

// End Wizard Added Object Disposal

// Begin Custom Code Disposal

// End Custom Code Disposal
this.btnDash.Click -= new System.EventHandler(this.btnDash_Click);
	}

private void MESMenu_Load(object sender, EventArgs args)
	{
		btnDash.ReadOnly = false;
	}  
private void btnDash_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs args)
{
ProcessCaller.LaunchForm(this.oTrans, "MES-JOBACTIV");
}
}

it’s not the button that’s the problem. It’s what’s in the dashboard. The button call looks fine. Try just a simple dashboard that looks at a list of parts or something and see if that works. (it should)

Also, check out this thread about formatting your code blocks. It makes things way easier to read here.

And you can just copy paste images into the forum. No need to use a 3rd part service.

1 Like

I’ve tried 5 different dashboards and all of them are giving me the same error. It’s not a permissions thing either because everyone has access to these dashboards and they work fine when opening in client.

Are you sure your Menu ID is MES-JOBACTIV looks a little long…

1 Like

Yeah the limit on that is 8 Characters… That’s not your Menu ID.

2 Likes

That was the issue! I misunderstood the menu id. I thought it has to have the prefix MES then the Menu ID. Looks like when I removed the MES- it worked just fine. Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

We are trying to do the same thing, add a dashboard to the MES main screen triggered by a button. We are struggling to find the MES Main Screen MenuID to apply the Customization to in the Menu. I know in the past I have customized the End Activity Screen and was able to find that menu under the Processes folder in Menu Maintenance, but I can’t seem to find MES there. I also tried querying Ice.Menu with no luck. I’m sure we are missing something simple, but any help is appreciated.

I believe you specify that in your configuration file. Happy Hunting!

1 Like

I ended up using the guide at the link below and was able to create a button for dashboard. As Mark mentioned, you will need to update your sysconfig file also to add the new MESCustomMenuID

1 Like