9.05.701 - printing slow

What’s the time like for the report to come up if you do print preview versus directly printing? Does it take just as long?

From: vantage@yahoogroups.com [mailto:vantage@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:18 AM
To: vantage@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vantage] 9.05.701 - PRINTING SLOW

We are on 9.05.701. We run a hosted solution with our servers at Backspace.
Our printing performance has ALWAYS been terrible, since we went live a year ago.
It can literally take 5 minutes from the time you click print until the printer responds.
Any ideas on how we can improve this performance? We've upgraded our internet and that hasn't really solved the problem.

Our printing performance has ALWAYS been terrible, since we went live a year ago.
It can literally take 5 minutes from the time you click print until the printer responds.
Any ideas on how we can improve this performance? We've upgraded our internet and that hasn't really solved the problem.
Are you using remote desktop to access the client?

Jose C Gomez

Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

E: jose@…

http://www.josecgomez.com
     Â

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM, senske3@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p>We are on 9.05.701. We run a hosted solution with our servers at Backspace. <br>Our printing performance has ALWAYS been terrible, since we went live a year ago. <br>It can literally take 5 minutes from the time you click print until the printer responds.<br>

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

yes

How large are your actual .RPT Crystal files? I've seen companies that put in hi-res logo's on their customized reports and the .RPT files are 4MB+ in size due to the image. If you're not using Remote Desktop to login, then each time you print or preview a report, the client sucks down that large .RPT file every time you print. With a hosted solution, there are so many variables, but that could be one. That's why I'm not a fan of hosting; I've never seen a hosted environment and said "Wow, that was surprisingly fast".Â

Good luck. I can't believe you've tolerated that for a year.

In your System Agent, what is your Processing Delay set to?

Even with Remote Desktop, that "print job image" needs to come across the wire from the host to into your network and then dump to a printer.   Are all jobs taking that long… meaning, even a simple one-page Job Traveler using the Standard report style?Â

Sent: Monday, June 23, 2014 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Vantage] 9.05.701 - PRINTING SLOW

yes

If you are using RDP then re-directed printing is never going to be fast enough. Are your printers installed directly on the server and if so, wha'ts your connection to it ?

Jose C Gomez
Software Engineer

T: 904.469.1524 mobile

E: jose@...
http://www.josecgomez.com

Â

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:35 AM, 'Vic Drecchio' vic.drecchio@... [vantage] <vantage@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Â
<div>

<p></p><div><p class="ygrps-yiv-633804313MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:11.0pt;color:#44546a;">How large are your actual .RPT Crystal files?  I&#39;ve seen companies that put in hi-res logo&#39;s on their customized reports and the .RPT files are 4MB+ in size due to the image.  If you&#39;re <i>not</i> using Remote Desktop to login, then each time you print or preview a report, the client sucks down that large .RPT file every time you print.  With a hosted solution, there are so many variables, but that could be one.  That&#39;s why I&#39;m not a fan of hosting; I&#39;ve never seen a hosted environment and said &quot;Wow, that was surprisingly fast&quot;.  <u></u><u></u></span></p>

Â

Good luck. I can't believe you've tolerated that for a year.

Â

In your System Agent, what is your Processing Delay set to?

Â

Â

Â

</div>

<div style="color:#fff;min-height:0;"></div>

We do use RDS to get into EPICOR.
One disclaimer, I'm not an IT guy and we don't have a full time one on staff.
We do have our logo on a lot of the reports.
In system agent our delay is set to 3. What does that mean?

thank you!!
Did you check System Monitor (the epicor icon on bottom right of screen when epicor is on) -> actions -> configuration? i set them Normal: 30000, Priority: 3000, Duration: 30000.
The setting indicates how frequent the Client checks the appserver for the report, before we adjust the setting, it took 1-2 min to open even a 1 page report

Any help from Epicor staff? 5 min is REALLY a problem