10.2.300 and DocLink

Just curious if anyone is using DocLink and has already made the upgrade to 10.2.300. Want to know if you ran into any challenges, issues? Just getting into the testing phases of 10.2.300, but don’t want to get too far in before I know this will or will not work. Upgrading from 10.1.400, FYI.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

Eric - we’re in the same boat. I’ve opened a ticket with Doclink support and they passed it over to Epicor support so I’m awaiting an answer. I’ll let you know if/when I find out.

DocLink isn’t supported by Epicor from nowish because they bought a product called DocStar, ie it has replaced Doclink

See this thread.

Matt - good link - I NEVER saw that document before. Thanks!!

I’m not sure specifically about your question but DocLink is not really Epicor aware right. It just reads the EMF Data on your reports and does x y or z with it, as a matter of fact Doclink will work with Word, or Notepad or anything else.
So I don’t see any problems that would be related to an Epicor Version.

@josecgomez - For the most part you are correct. There is some UI code (and buttons) that would survive easily enough through the versions, but the integration module they sell to do (Doclink --> Epicor) AP Invoice creation utilizes the BO’s directly via a DLL that Altec authors, and is very Epicor-version specific. It’s exactly like what you’ve warned everyone here about the downfalls of making your own custom DLLs… If Altec has lost access to the code and cannot create that DLL for the latest version, then effectively the AP Invoice automation module is defunct.

Although I’ve spoken with an Altec developer last year about moving to REST instead of using BOs, I’ve not heard anything about it and they have not yet answered my emails.

1 Like

Thanks Mike I was not familiar with a more direct integration… interesting.

1 Like

:slight_smile: I’m not totally surprised that you didn’t know about it. According to Altec support, there aren’t that many of us out here that were using the module…

And yet I find it kind of funny that the whole push to DocStar is effectively based on the AP Automation module…

Thanks Mike. Yes we had involvement with Altec for the E9 to E10 integration and during this past year at Insights, whenever discussing upgrading to 10.2.xxx, DocLink was brought up. And of course, shortly following, the push to move us to DocStar. We are using the integration module for Epicor, so we are challenged with losing that when we upgrade. Ultimately, sounds like we need to have DocStar up and running when we are ready to upgrade.

No problem!
Full disclosure is that we’ve signed up for Docstar as well. I’m looking at trying to get to 10.2.300 (for so many other reasons) that I’m now in talks with AP to see if they can live without the integration for a few weeks.

I was just asking the questions to see if anything changed that might still allow us to remain on DL until the Docstar implementation begins… (they said another 2-3 weeks before they’d contact us to even get started).

That’s good information to have. Means with us not having even purchased it, we will likely need to push back the upgrade or live without the integration as well. Thanks again all!!